redfoots vs cherryheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilburger

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Deciding what kind of tortoise to get... I want either a redfoot or cherryhead... I know the cherryhead is supposed to stay smaller, but they're much more expensive so I am wondering if there is really a significant difference between the two? What have you observed for adult sizes of both types of tortoises?

Thanks!

Anfi

5 Year Member
"The name 'cherryheads' was coined for a form of red-tooted tortoise that typically (not always) has a red head, as well as several other distinguishing characteristics. At least some of these tortoises remain relatively small; these are apparently full grown and even rather-old specimens that measure only 20-22 cm in carapace length, however, mentions 'giant' specimens of this form, with carapace length of 28 cm a Maran reports a maximum size of 30 cm" (c) Vinke, Vetter and co.

The main difference is the beautiful bright red color of these specimens but it mostly depends on luck. Look at these photos, I like this kind of tortoises :D:

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Please keep in mind that those pics above show "best of the best" and you'd be lucky to find many cherryheads close to that nice out there. Those are from a commercial farm where they literally farm thousands of cherryheads. So needless to say those are some of the best of thousands of specimens. That said cherryheads often times are more vibrant, may grow smaller, and are distinctly different from their cousins to the north.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
A 'cherry-head' is a 'redder' color morph of Red-foot that is found in east-central Brazil, the Bahia region. The reports of smaller size are based on a few of the early specimens- most grow at least to the same size as a typical Red-foot although they may reach sexual maturity at a smaller size.

The cares are about the same although the habitats they come from have more temperature and humidity variation than the northern Red-foots, and their wild diet may be heavier in grasses, hays, and cacti. Captive care is generally considered about the same as other Red-foots.

Basically you are paying for color. You also want to be careful- a lot of colorful Red-foots are sold as 'cherry-heads' but are not.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I think the contrast between the red feet and the yellow head is stunning in redfoots. If given a chose, I would choose the redfoot over the cherryhead. :)

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
Madkins007 said:
A 'cherry-head' is a 'redder' color morph of Red-foot that is found in east-central Brazil, the Bahia region. The reports of smaller size are based on a few of the early specimens- most grow at least to the same size as a typical Red-foot although they may reach sexual maturity at a smaller size.

The cares are about the same although the habitats they come from have more temperature and humidity variation than the northern Red-foots, and their wild diet may be heavier in grasses, hays, and cacti. Captive care is generally considered about the same as other Red-foots.

Basically you are paying for color. You also want to be careful- a lot of colorful Red-foots are sold as 'cherry-heads' but are not.

So Mark, for people like me who kind of get it (seeing the difference from CH to 'regular' redfoot) but only by photos, who are looking for their second CH redfoot, would you say the little sticky out nose is the best clue to an actual cherry head (since you all confirmed mine is?).
I guess it being minus a bazillion degrees in MN today I'll have to wait anyhow.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
They all have this nose.. if not they aren't -

05RedNose.jpg

Not all have that red.. some have these colors - salmon and orange -

theNOSE.jpg

Most don't have even that much color.. and they seem to fade fast once they reach maturity.

The plastron colors and nose differences shown in these Northern and Brazilian yearlings - both are redfoot tortoises -

cherryandcolomboP.jpg

compnoses.jpg

My 'mature' male is 10" SCL.

This is the "farm" Bryan showed pics of.. and Mark mentioned.. http://www.geochelone.com.br:80/usa/index.cfm

NERD

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Great photos, Terry!

I just LOVE that 'Rudolph nose'!

I keep getting this image of Santa's sleigh being drawn by 8 Red-foots with a 'cherryhead' in front lighting the way...

But that would make Christmas take a really long time, wouldn't it?

NORAD Santa Tracker, 12:00:01am 2009-12-25: We are tracking Santa starting his run from his Equatorial workshop. I hope all of the boys and girls are in bed!

NORAD, 01:30:24, 2009-12-25: And here we see that they have left the compound and are en route! Merry Christmas everyone!

NORAD, 03:22:15, 2009-12-25: Ah... according to the ground track radar, they have made it about a mile and should be arriving at the first house sometime in the next three hours. We will update our report at that time.

NORAD, 07:49:03, 2009-12-25: So far, things are going well. Santa has made it to six houses and things are on track...

(snip)

NORAD, 21:34:52, 2010-03-14: Happy Saint Patrick's Day! Santa has about finished with the Tropical Zone and should be heading to the United States now, so all you kids in Florida should be seeing him in about three-four days!

(snip)

NORAD, 11:29:44, 2010-07-04: Happy fourth of July everyone! We see that Santa has made it to Colorado- he's making great time this year! At this rate, he should get finished with plenty of time to take a shower before starting his rounds again!

(wakes up)- Sorry, was having fun with the imagery!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
St. Patrick's Day!! LOL!! We were paying attention, honest!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
A very important quality is that Colombians/northerns can be delicate. I've never had any luck with them... we won't discuss numbers.

The 'Cherryheads' are extremely resiliant. They are very cold tolerant and forgiving. For me the color is not the benefit.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Redfootedboxturtles said:
Can you buy redfoots from that farm?

I have tried to bring them in from that farm several times to no avail.
I do know there 2 brokers in the USA that do receive them regularly.
Both of the brokers are old friends of mine. When I get a definite answer,
I'll let you know.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I agree with Ed.. my Brazilians do seem to be the first ones out.. in the late summer/fall [ cooler temps ].. and the last ones to go in. However I've had no concerns with my 'northerns'.. probly because they weren't moved from extreme different climates?

Terry K

t_mclellan said:

I have tried to bring them in from that farm several times to no avail.
I do know there 2 brokers in the USA that do receive them regularly.
Both of the brokers are old friends of mine. When I get a definite answer,
I'll let you know.

Tom and I have discussed the possibility that those 'brokers' might have some kind of "exclusive" import agreement with the farm!

But we don't really know for sure...

Terry K

Bryan

10 Year Member!

I spoke to them once via email and they told me that I'd need to bring in 50 animals minimum. That was that! However I might not mind getting a few from there if I knew who brought them into the US, but I surely wouldn't pick up 50 of them!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Bryan said:

I spoke to them once via email and they told me that I'd need to bring in 50 animals minimum. That was that! However I might not mind getting a few from there if I knew who brought them into the US, but I surely wouldn't pick up 50 of them!

Actually, it is not as simple as it sounds.
Even if the farm agrees to sell you the animals, you are still required to go through a broker in Miami (or other port of entry) who handles the paperwork for the USF&W. I think you are also required to provide import permits, or CITES documents. It is a MAJOR hassle which is why few people actually are able to bring them in. Also, most exporters do not want to deal with a hobbyist who only wants a few hand picked animals and who only wants to do a one-time deal. When they do that, it angers their regular customers (the big importers) who view such deals as cutting in on their market.
It doesn't seem fair but thats the way it is.
I think Ed Pirog imported a group a number of years ago (or at least purchased a big group) and he could add some of the details.
But my point is, that if it were as easy as the various websites from Brazil make it sound then many of us would have imported ourselves already.

Oh, I almost forgot...when I was looking into importing about 15 years ago the State of Florida also insisted that I applied for and possessed a permit to sell wildlife in Florida before I could bring in the first animal.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Bryan said:

Bryan it plainly states on the "How to buy" page.. the min. export number per order and some of the permits required.

Chances are when you see any advertised on Kingsnake.. they came from that farm!

Terry K

Bryan

10 Year Member!
cdmay said:
Bryan said:

Actually, it is not as simple as it sounds.
Even if the farm agrees to sell you the animals, you are still required to go through a broker in Miami (or other port of entry) who handles the paperwork for the USF&W. I think you are also required to provide import permits, or CITES documents. It is a MAJOR hassle which is why few people actually are able to bring them in. Also, most exporters do not want to deal with a hobbyist who only wants a few hand picked animals and who only wants to do a one-time deal. When they do that, it angers their regular customers (the big importers) who view such deals as cutting in on their market.
It doesn't seem fair but thats the way it is.
I think Ed Pirog imported a group a number of years ago (or at least purchased a big group) and he could add some of the details.
But my point is, that if it were as easy as the various websites from Brazil make it sound then many of us would have imported ourselves already.

Oh, I almost forgot...when I was looking into importing about 15 years ago the State of Florida also insisted that I applied for and possessed a permit to sell wildlife in Florida before I could bring in the first animal.

Oh I believe it Carl! And rules and regs always get harder over time. I wouldn't mind a few of these animals, but when I inquired it was before I came across respected breeders like yourself. I still wouldn't mind a few of the "farm" animals, however I most certainly wouldn't be willing to go through all of these hoops when I could get quality animals domestically from people like yourself.

Redfoot NERD said:
Bryan said:

Bryan it plainly states on the "How to buy" page.. the min. export number per order and some of the permits required.

Chances are when you see any advertised on Kingsnake.. they came from that farm!

Terry K

I actually emailed another farm before I did that one, you are correct on that site it clearly states the minimum import numbers. I wonder how many cherryheads on KS are farmed animals from Bahia Vs. Domestically raised animals? I haven't checked into too many ads there but all of the animals that I have gotten were domestically raised to the best of my knowledge.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Believe it or not it is quite easy to import from that farm. They do have to be willing to sell to you.

I did it as a one shot deal to obtain the group that I have. I have no desire to become an imported.

Current Import/Export License for the US is $100. If the shipment is under $2000 you can clear it yourself.

Once you get the low down it is quite simple but does require some leg work. If you are not near a port of entry you are going to need a broker or be willing to travel to the port of entry. The process can take as long as 6 months... I've done it in as little as 6 days... but that took a huge amount of *** kissing.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Interesting!
I tried contacting them twice this past year & had no response.
I have the means & ability but I still need to talk to someone before I can do any "KISSING"!

Also,
Carl Tell Joe T. I said hello & I would like to get in touch.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
They very well might realize. What I don't think they realized is that putting the business on the net attracts all sorts of nuts that lead to nowhere in a business sense.

I wonder how many hunreds of emails they get asking if they can send photos... what is the price of one or two... how do I get them from you to me... ... world wide.

t_mclellan said:
Interesting!
I tried contacting them twice this past year & had no response.
I have the means & ability but I still need to talk to someone before I can do any "KISSING"!

Also,
Carl Tell Joe T. I said hello & I would like to get in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.