Redfoots - Pairs & Groups

jcaporaletti

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
United States
I have no problems with my group. They are all about the same size 9 to 15 inches. With that said once was keeping a female yellow foot about 8 to 10 inches with two slightly smaller red foots of unknown sex with her and she would sometimes attempt to flip them over. I moved her into a group with larger sized dudes and everything was fine.

willee638

HK
We always get people who are on opposite sides in their opinion, views & experiences whenever this subject arises, who can really say they are the true absolute experts on all tortoises. I don't believe one persons observations with a pair or three pet tortoises of whatever species kept in their little enclosure based on the way they raise them is the rule everybody else should follow. There are even some trying to discredit researchers studying more social tortoise species like RF's as living in colonies isn't valid, Yes, not all tortoises can co-habitant together especially males. these people probably raised two or more males together & came to the conclusion all tortoises are solitary animals & should never be kept together. One person's experience isn't the rule for all & I even hear some self professed experts say I shouldn't feed my torts certain foods but mine happens to love eating it & they're fine & healthy, please don't try to impose your limited views on others.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We always get people who are on opposite sides in their opinion, views & experiences whenever this subject arises, who can really say they are the true absolute experts on all tortoises. I don't believe one persons observations with a pair or three pet tortoises of whatever species kept in their little enclosure based on the way they raise them is the rule everybody else should follow. There are even some trying to discredit researchers studying more social tortoise species like RF's as living in colonies isn't valid, Yes, not all tortoises can co-habitant together especially males. these people probably raised two or more males together & came to the conclusion all tortoises are solitary animals & should never be kept together. One person's experience isn't the rule for all & I even hear some self professed experts say I shouldn't feed my torts certain foods but mine happens to love eating it & they're fine & healthy, please don't try to impose your limited views on others.
This post is a full seven years old
And the fact that tortoises shouldn't be forced to live in pairs is still a fact.
Not an opinion

willee638

HK
Yes precisely, no one individual animal should be forced to cohabitate with another if they don't want to. If it's that particular tortoise's will we should make every effort to separate them, my point was for RF's co-existence can be possible for some individual cases if there's sufficient space provided. Humans can never really replicate their wild habitat, so if they behave differently then it's probably our fault.

S2G

AL
Solid bump. Personally I think people just look for any excuse to do what they want. They ignore the 100 don't do it's hoping to get that one affirmation. We try to antropomorphize everything these days as well.

willee638

HK
Human's are selfish creatures & because of us these animals' natural habitats are destroyed & these species are driven into extinction, now we are here arguing whether they're kept the right or wrong way? Do we even know these wild animals wanted human interference & intervention?

willee638

HK
Once in a while we get an anti-social serial killer in our society, so why wouldn't there be any in the tortoise world?