Redfoots Not Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTaylor

5 Year Member
In late 2009, I purchased 1.1 pair of redfoots of breeding size (approximately 14 inches or so, field collected from Suriname). They are kept in an outdoor enclosure here in Orlando, FL except for very cold days/nights they are brought in. Female layed two eggs 1 month after I purchased her, but they did not hatch. Male has not once expressed an interest in breeding. They are housed with a smaller redfoot (female, 6 inches). What can I do to increase the chances that they will breed? I was under the impression that humidity here in FL should be sufficient. I have recently been placing them in the shower for an hour or so a day to simulate a heavy rain. I also plan on turning the sprinkler head back on in their enclosure; I turned it off b/c I thought it would flood the area.

Any other suggestions?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I'm not saying this to insult you,but are you certain you have a pair of opposite sex? I've never had a problem with them breeding-that's their favorite passtime. I'm assuming that temps and diet are correct.Maybe check out turtletary.com. Do you have any pictures of their plastrons?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Although they are not showing any breeding activity are they otherwise healthy and active? Are they good eaters with good body weight?
If they are wild caught adults they sometimes take a year of so to acclimate to their new surroundings and diet. It is also possible that if they are in fact wild caught adults, they might being carrying an unusually high parasite load from the conditions they were kept in prior to you getting them. This would make them a bit run down and not interested in breeding.
Lastly, I am in Florida too and my redfoot males are showing about zero interest in breeding now. Wait till it warms up again this spring and see what happens then.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Also since they are WC, you may be stressing them out more by showering them daily. Since they are WC, they may need more than a year to settle in, I agree with Carl, they also may have parasites. I am also in Florida, all my torts are slow right now and definitely no loving among my torts, either. Hope that helps.

Allegra

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I've noticed that none of the wild caught males will breed. I have grown impatient and invested in some long term captive males. I never have a problem with them breeding my females. I have one wild caught male that I'm playing the waiting game with to see if he will in fact start breeding. I've had him for approx. one year. One of my females will lay a clutch about once a month averaging 3 eggs. I would definitely look around for a male that has been in captivity most, or all of his life. That will be your best chance.

Also, try separating them for a while. Male and female red-foots in the wild will not be around each other all of the time. They come across each other by chance and by that point the male is all worked up and ready to mate.

-Matt

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi JTaylor:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name?

Since you've had them a little over a year, have you had them tested for parasites? Do what Matt41gb suggested and separate them for a while.

JTaylor

5 Year Member
JTaylor said:
In late 2009, I purchased 1.1 pair of redfoots of breeding size (approximately 14 inches or so, field collected from Suriname). They are kept in an outdoor enclosure here in Orlando, FL except for very cold days/nights they are brought in. Female layed two eggs 1 month after I purchased her, but they did not hatch. Male has not once expressed an interest in breeding. They are housed with a smaller redfoot (female, 6 inches). What can I do to increase the chances that they will breed? I was under the impression that humidity here in FL should be sufficient. I have recently been placing them in the shower for an hour or so a day to simulate a heavy rain. I also plan on turning the sprinkler head back on in their enclosure; I turned it off b/c I thought it would flood the area.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone. They are definitely male and female. Female laid two eggs soon after I got her and male has very prominent waist and extreme concavity of his plastron. No doubt there. Male was extremely shy when I first bought him, but over the summer months last year, he warmed up to me and was coming up to me and taking strawberries out of my hand. Could be the parasite issue.

BTW, name is Jeff.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
You have to give them a year or two, or even more - It's been my experience that maybe only 1 out of 6 or so will want to breed right out of the wild........

Once they cycle a few times in our hemisphere and weather patters they will breed and lay Eggs just like any other, but untill then, it is what it is........Breeding and acclimating wild caught Tortoises isn't hard, it just takes time and isn't something for the impatient......

Just an FYI though - I never de-parasitize anything unless there is an obvious problem......If given proper husbandry the animals will cycle out any potential Parasite load quicker and more efficient than any man made wormer/medication/poison on the market......

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I have not bred them yet, so rarely chime in on a breeding issue, but most reports suggest that you'll have more luck with a herd rather than a pair. No only better odds overall, but another male seems to help spark interest.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We had several w/c adult redfoots, 1.2. They breed all the time, but never had eggs. I gave them to Reptile Industries last year. Wish you the best. I will say the simulated rain does help our aldabras.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Besides all above this below may help.. be patient. They breed it takes a couple months.. she lay eggs it takes 4 months.. they pip it can take a week to hatch.. they hatch it takes a week or longer til they absorb the yolk-sac.. they take another week until they begin to eat.. all of this is after they are comfortable in their new environment.

My published article in REPTILES mag -

http://www.turtletary.com/REDFOOT/Gcarbonariabreeding.doc

NERD

Keep us posted

Status
Not open for further replies.