Redfoots houses together?

saleena.lewis

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
So I have had my redfoot tortoise for only a little while now and I have already fallen in love with him! He is a little over a year now and i've had him since the beginning of april. This is very debatable but I was wondering if I upgraded the enclosure to a 7 by 2 foot cage if he would be ok with another yearling redfoot. If they show any signs of aggression I could easily get another enclosure. I have been looking at the same question from people on here from the past and they said it was ok, but is that outdated information? It's not like I NEED another tortoise it would just be nice to have another one. Do you guys think it would be ok? Also I obviously don't know my tortoises gender because he is too young but i'm honestly thinking that he is a male.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just having two together would be stressful to them both.
Why not just create 2 enclosures?
Redfoot are usually some of the calmest tortoises and true agression might be hard to see unless you know what you're looking for. And things like following each other around and sleeping together might even appear to be signs of affection to us mammals.
It isn't.
My opinion is that you lack the space for more than one tortoise. Even with the new 2x7 size.
It's a recipe for sick animals and a headache for you.

Last edited:

jeannettep

Texas
It is really surprising to catch them being dominant over each other. The way I caught mine was for hurricane preparation & I had these empty cattle mineral tubs & thought it would be ok for 24-48 hours. They would be kept in the dark. I put the box turtle in 1 & 2 red foots that spent last winter sharing the sunroom together. I wasn't thinking, I knew better animals are freaking out before a storm. My poor sabrina was pushed on top of the aunt Dora & she was looking at me like help I'm going to flip. So I thought ok, I'll get a 3rd tub put her with the box turtle & sam went right over & bit her leg. Thank goodness she was ok! So I put her in a 4th tub while I fixed her own tub. After that when everyone went back I could see that sabrina would try to eat, then walk away when someone came by. So she is enjoying the aviary all by herself. Sam the box turtle is hanging out with aunt Dora the red foot. Sam is the dominant & both still eat separately & both are gaining weight. But seeing them together is cute, but I know what that means. Sam is the smallest but the dominate. I keep telling them it's just temporary, just bare with me til the temperature is not 100. So headache diverted, wish I put everyone separate from the beginning. It sounds like it wouldnt be a problem to put 2 areas, just plan ways to expand their 7x2 area in the future. After they get bigger, its addicting to want to add more plants, etc in their area. I put a place to sit with mine & I enjoy sitting with them when it's not 100. So relaxing!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. A group of RF could work in a large outdoor enclosure, but that would be difficult in a small indoor enclosure.

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Thank you sooo much to everyone that replied. I really took everything into consideration and I am coming up with a plan for the tortoises. I'm still not sure if I will be getting another tortoise because of the opposite responses. And if I were to get some more redfoots it would most likely be a small group of them. I know that the 7 by 2 cage will certainly have to be temporary and that is totally understood. When I got pheonix (my current red foot) I talked to my father and told him that I would need help with building a proper size enclosure. The only way that I would get a small group of tortoises is if I had a large enough outdoor enclosure - which would be achievable for me with my large backyard and when the weather changes and gets colder, They would all have their own proper sized indoor enclosures. Although it may not be ideal to have a ton of enclosures it would be manageable in the large extra room in my house. I have a lot to plan and think about in the future and i'm not sure if all of this will work but I will certainly put things into different perspectives to see if this is achievable.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you sooo much to everyone that replied. I really took everything into consideration and I am coming up with a plan for the tortoises. I'm still not sure if I will be getting another tortoise because of the opposite responses. And if I were to get some more redfoots it would most likely be a small group of them. I know that the 7 by 2 cage will certainly have to be temporary and that is totally understood. When I got pheonix (my current red foot) I talked to my father and told him that I would need help with building a proper size enclosure. The only way that I would get a small group of tortoises is if I had a large enough outdoor enclosure - which would be achievable for me with my large backyard and when the weather changes and gets colder, They would all have their own proper sized indoor enclosures. Although it may not be ideal to have a ton of enclosures it would be manageable in the large extra room in my house. I have a lot to plan and think about in the future and i'm not sure if all of this will work but I will certainly put things into different perspectives to see if this is achievable.
You are SOOO not alone.
Most of us find that keeping just one tortoise is unbearable

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
You are SOOO not alone.
Most of us find that keeping just one tortoise is unbearable
See, and I'm perfectly happy with one. They are a lot of work and the enclosure size requirements are so large -- I couldn't provide multiple torts with good quality of life. IF I ever find Persephone (the adult redfoot I foolishly rehomed more than a decade ago and am looking for), I would make it work for her. But otherwise, nope. Very happy with just one! :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
See, and I'm perfectly happy with one. They are a lot of work and the enclosure size requirements are so large -- I couldn't provide multiple torts with good quality of life. IF I ever find Persephone (the adult redfoot I foolishly rehomed more than a decade ago and am looking for), I would make it work for her. But otherwise, nope. Very happy with just one! :)
As I've said before. If keeping tortoises wasn't so easy for me as it is here in So. Fla. I might not be keeping them at all.