Redfoot's House~Of~Fun~

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Making progress…….on the RED’S house…..
Here’s a neat little set up for a “tort’s night rest. This is just their night time / daytime palyhouse/ hide. It can be locked up tight at night for accountability and security. It leads to a 14’x 5 ’ run of grass, “natural cool “lava rock caves” for hide spots”, clean natural fill soil for digging and getting muddy….… and even a raised “ outdoor” nest box 4’x6’ .. and plenty of sunshine with a damp warm tropical feeling throughout.
House itself , is 5’x’7’x7’tall, which is nice so you can walk into it to
“ Observe” standing up inside and even has a built in skylight and garden window.
There is power ran inside with 3 diff type lighting/heat elements
( which in So Cal .we only need a few weeks the entire year… at night) all on timers on a water proof GFI. One really cool aspect of the “ tort house” is a custom built “ MIST SYSTEM”…that runs on one side…. inside of the hide” this when turned on manually or automatic simulates a tropical rain forest with an ultra fine mist/fog. Its very easy to maintain humidity and heat plus the Reds dig” it ! Substrate consists of natural bark along with moss of two types and even a raised 10” deep “ soft bed” for any night time nesting activity. This all opens up to a neat little yard and a wonderful view.
redshousebest.jpg

torthutinside.jpg
aptcruiser.jpg
frontcreek.jpg

“ HAPPY TORT’N “
JD~ :p
PS .. Ive been jumping up and down waiting on my new torts! ..
<wink>… Terry ….. I’am so excited and proud to have some of his “ bloodline” and “ Screamer” redfoots!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
JD!................................O.K. if we ship tomorrow for Wed. arrival?

Terry K

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry K

puuuuurrrrrrrrrfect! ..... how do ya like the house so far?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
JD: That's just great! And its made out of vinyl, huh? so no danger of it rotting out from the moisture. I love sheds that you (the food goddess/god, poop scooper) can stand up inside of.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
JD: That's just great! And its made out of vinyl, huh? so no danger of it rotting out from the moisture. I love sheds that you (the food goddess/god, poop scooper) can stand up inside of.

Yup .... and guilty as I feel ( I usally build the entire structure) .. the " Moisture and ease of maintance was the considering factor for the "vinyl" ..version. And to keep low key whats hiding behind closed doors ..(grin);) .. I will soon finish the elec. by encasing it all in a "water tight" box". The "misters" are super neato and should be very benefical this summer .. if it was any thing like last years,heatwave ...:shy:

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
N2TORTS said:
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry K

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHH looks good! For some reason JD "OVER-KILL" comes to mind! [ don't like the 'lava' rocks ]

Your new ones won't know how to act.... they've never seen anything that fancy!!!
36_10_1.gif

Terry K

BTW.. is that a 'clamp-light' for that hooded heat-light? Be sure and "nail" that secure.. seems like maybe we discussed that before.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
N2TORTS said:
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry K

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHH looks good! For some reason JD "OVER-KILL" comes to mind! [ don't like the 'lava' rocks ]

Your new ones won't know how to act.... they've never seen anything that fancy!!!
36_10_1.gif

Terry K

BTW.. is that a 'clamp-light' for that hooded heat-light? Be sure and "nail" that secure.. seems like maybe we discussed that before.

yea .. its a clamp light ... not permenant mounted yet .. but even as a temp its screwed in place with backing washer. ( no clamp used) .
PS. Lava rocks ... are nice to work with , because you can achieve mass without the wieght! Plus they look " inplace" with hardscape. also .. it would look funny to have Colorado boulders in So CAL!:p

and .... * overkill is always better than half Azzed!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am awed by the duck pond, now that is impressive!! My question on the shed it how big is it (wondering how many adult RFs will fit it in)? I keep thinking about the plastic housing what with wood here rotting so quickly (I think everything should outlast me :rolleyes::D)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
*SIGH*

You're just showing off. :rolleyes:

Admit it--you used to be a professional landscaper/carpenter of some sort. :p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
I am awed by the duck pond, now that is impressive!! My question on the shed it how big is it (wondering how many adult RFs will fit it in)? I keep thinking about the plastic housing what with wood here rotting so quickly (I think everything should outlast me :rolleyes::D)

House itself , is 5’x’7’x7’tall...approx 35sf. floor space. :)
JD~

Stephanie Logan said:
*SIGH*

You're just showing off. :rolleyes:

Admit it--you used to be a professional landscaper/carpenter of some sort. :p

Me showing off...? .. Never:p
And yes to all of the above..." of somesort"..:D
still...am...
JD~
PS " fancy eye roll"....<:p

TORTOISES2010

5 Year Member
Hey JD......the last picture showed a very cute pond......you did it ? :)......it look a like I saw some where......

Hey JD....the last picture showed a nice pond.....you did it ?.....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.