redfoots are breeding- am I doing it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
I live in Tampa FL. I have had a "pair" of redfoots for about 2 years now. They were nearly mature when I got them. I am surprised it took this long for them to start paying attention to eachother. I have observed mating. I keep them in my backyard and I'm wondering how I will find the eggs if she lays any.

The way I have been caring for them is that I grow cactus pads. They eat alot of cactus. I also have a mulberry tree and they really like the leaves. Of course they also eat various weeds growing in my backyard. I supplement their diet with some papaya and other salad scraps. I have never fed them protein. They might be eating slugs or something they come across. I have offered hornworms and mealworms in the past but they werent interested. I dust their food from time to time with calcium and have been making sure to give the female some more frequently now that she may be gravid.

In the winter I bring them into my garage at night. I have heater out there if they need it.

Just want to see if I am missing something. I have never bred any tortoises before. But they seem to be doing very well with the care that they have been receiving so far.

Thanks for any input!

Status
Not open for further replies.