redfoots and catfood

Status
Not open for further replies.

mintybum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, UK
so i thought i might get some dried catfood for my torties to try once a week or so yeh yeh before you all start :p
but what sort am i looking for?

C

Claireabbo

i dont know if you should feed them cat food at all. their stomachs cant process certain things such as the contents in cat food. and yeah it could potentionally kill them.... :(

mintybum

10 Year Member!
mine r redfoots, they eat protein, you can fee them catfood and dog food, not very often though as too much is not good for them

C

Claireabbo

mintybum said:
mine r redfoots, they eat protein, you can fee them catfood and dog food, not very often though as too much is not good for them

some dog food and cat food is not even suitable for a dog or cat... some cat/dog food does have some protein suppliments, but not as much as a boiled egg or other pured proteins. but im not to sure what other opinions are on the dog/cat food. i personaly dont favor the idea.

martinfre

5 Year Member
Cologne, Germany
i don't think catfood is the right way to give them protein. catfood is made for cats and for their needs. use snails or stream crabs .

C

Claireabbo

i agree with martinfre... there are other more safer substances to use for protien. cat food is made for cats not tortoises.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I dont use dog/catfoood i use
boiled chicken/boiled egg/slugs/worms/snail/oily fish,,,

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Claireabbo said:
i dont know if you should feed them cat food at all. their stomachs cant process certain things such as the contents in cat food. and yeah it could potentionally kill them.... :(
They process it fine and no,it won't kill them.A small amount,once a week is all you are feeding.

mintybum

10 Year Member!
im in the uk so hard to find steam crabs and that particular sort of catfood.
natural foods do sound better and this may sound really lame but we are all vegetarians so giving him a snail or bugs grosses me out big time :rolleyes:
we have chickens so eggs on demand so a boiled egg it is, do i give him the white too??
:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
While cat or dog food for Red-foot and other forest/omnivorous tortoises may be controversial to some people, it is certainly not a big deal to a species that routinely eats very aged carrion and other unsavory materials in the wild.

Because it is such a small part of the overall diet, all you really need is a reputable brand. If you can find some that is also low fat and low in ash, like Pro-Plan, so much the better.

I understand why it is an attractive option for people with herds of tortoises, tight budgets, etc.- cheap, easy to use and store, consistently eaten, etc. I use it when I don't have easy access to other meat options, but I prefer to use worms, bugs, slugs, chicken, eggs, etc.

martinfre

5 Year Member
Cologne, Germany
hrm.. i understand your viewpoint. but here is it no problem to get worms, bugs or slugs. you can buy it in every pet shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.