Redfoot tortoise at Petco

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
if I had more money and space I would have SO MANY turtles and tortoises!!

the other dude was huge, and my turtle is tiny. had to pick tiny dude for space reasons
But go back and see if the other one is still there. I feel bad for him.....
Now ya made me want to go get him!
And I’m in NJ!!! ?
??
Just want to know if he’s alright I guess??

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Congrats! He/she is better off with you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I hope this doesn’t sound too mean, I don’t mean it to be whatsoever.
I have issues with people buying animals from places like Petco or Petsmart because they aren’t in good conditions. I 10000% understand it, but doing so is just hurting so many more animals. If you buy a neglected animal from there, that’s going to give them the green light that a negelect animal is an animal they are selling that people will buy, so they are going to keep neglecting the animals because it saves them money and because people will still buy it. That just means that they are going to think it’s acceptable for them to treat animals horribly, because anyone who buys an animal because they want to give it better conditions, are buying an animal that is being treated horribly. They are going to think “oh hey, if we still get sales when we treat animals this badly, how far can we go with treating them badly before people stop buying?” So they are going to treat the animals they get even worse, because it saves them even more money, and people are buying them no matter what, so why not? We, as customers, need to hold them to a higher standard. Buying animals that are neglected or abused is just going to make them get more animals and treat those animals even worse, because people will still buy them. In essence, I know this is coming from a loving place, and I know it will save one animals life, but it will hurt so many more in the long run, if people keep doing this. You can’t buy all the animals that are neglected, so the best thing you can do is contribute to the stopping of animals being neglected there. I hope this makes sense.

Well, it does make sense. But everybody needs to not spend any money in a pet store, and everybody won't. So instead, simply save them one at a time. The Mom and Pop pet store that buy's my birds has a Sulcata and a Redfoot in a glass display case together. No substrate, no plants, no humidity, or UVB. So I open my mouth to comment on that, and he tells me he is in this business to make money, not raise or care for animals. Done

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I concur. You also have to wonder about breeders selling to big chain pet stores. Some irresponsible breeders have ruined dog breeds like cocker spaniels. I see a cross-bred tort every once in a while, & I wonder.
But the breeders are in it for the money, they simply breed and sell on a commercial level.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
But the breeders are in it for the money, they simply breed and sell on a commercial level.
There's the rub. Like in all things on this forum, we have good breeders, caregivers, newbies, experienced tort people; likewise there are bad breeders, bad caregivers, bad advice & evil people out there.

I am stunned by the bad advice & horrible treatment of torts out there, never even having had one. I'm prepping & learning before I get a tort, & I just want to cry when a newbie comes on the forum because they are rescuing a mistreated tort.

I say this because I have a cat that was mistreated before we adopted her who spent 3 or 4 nights under a floorboard where we couldn't reach her, but she would come out & meow for hours at night. To this day, 9 yrs. later, you can't pick her up, if you can catch her, & hold her longer than 30 secs.

Yet she will come to you & want noogies if you're sitting still. She was basically a feral cat that the owners put up for adoption after keeping her outside because their older cats were more important. She was adopted & returned at least once.

So again, to all of you who are rescuing torts from pet shops, breeders, & lousy pet owners, thank you. I had no idea of the tort abuse out there. Thank you for putting your experience & knowledge on this forum!!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
There's the rub. Like in all things on this forum, we have good breeders, caregivers, newbies, experienced tort people; likewise there are bad breeders, bad caregivers, bad advice & evil people out there.

I am stunned by the bad advice & horrible treatment of torts out there, never even having had one. I'm prepping & learning before I get a tort, & I just want to cry when a newbie comes on the forum because they are rescuing a mistreated tort.

I say this because I have a cat that was mistreated before we adopted her who spent 3 or 4 nights under a floorboard where we couldn't reach her, but she would come out & meow for hours at night. To this day, 9 yrs. later, you can't pick her up, if you can catch her, & hold her longer than 30 secs.

Yet she will come to you & want noogies if you're sitting still. She was basically a feral cat that the owners put up for adoption after keeping her outside because their older cats were more important. She was adopted & returned at least once.

So again, to all of you who are rescuing torts from pet shops, breeders, & lousy pet owners, thank you. I had no idea of the tort abuse out there. Thank you for putting your experience & knowledge on this forum!!
Cats Re odd. My wife trapped a 6 month old feral cat that when we took it to the vet ran up his arm and started climbing drywall. Almost 6 months iliving n a spare bedroom the wife would go in daily increasing contact or closeness. Years later my wife cod pick that cat up like a bag and carry her, she could ball her up and even call her. I got the stink eye for years before she would let me pet her. Cats are just cats weird!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Cats Re odd. My wife trapped a 6 month old feral cat that when we took it to the vet ran up his arm and started climbing drywall. Almost 6 months iliving n a spare bedroom the wife would go in daily increasing contact or closeness. Years later my wife cod pick that cat up like a bag and carry her, she could ball her up and even call her. I got the stink eye for years before she would let me pet her. Cats are just cats weird!
Cats are not weird, people are
100_5861.JPG100_6228.JPG

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I bought him home!!! He’s getting his first soak now! Pics are attached.

Thanks for all the perspectives!!! I totally understand the reasoning behind not supporting pet stores and their treatment of animals. It definitely gave me pause, but the big thing is that this particular store will not be replacing the redfoot. I went in and the employee (different one this time) again confirmed that they would not be restocking redfoot tortoises. Hopefully that will remain the case. Anyways I plan to closely monitor his shell. Humidity for the enclosure is already at 80%.
He's a beauty and looks to be in very good condition. I'm sure he enjoyed that soak!