Redfoot tortoise at Petco

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I bought him home!!! He’s getting his first soak now! Pics are attached.

Thanks for all the perspectives!!! I totally understand the reasoning behind not supporting pet stores and their treatment of animals. It definitely gave me pause, but the big thing is that this particular store will not be replacing the redfoot. I went in and the employee (different one this time) again confirmed that they would not be restocking redfoot tortoises. Hopefully that will remain the case. Anyways I plan to closely monitor his shell. Humidity for the enclosure is already at 80%.
The pyraming is not that bad honestly. Looks pretty good actually. Congratulations on your new buddy!

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
the thought process for me not buying at a pet store is perpetuating their abuse on animals. It is supply and demand - when there is demand, the pets will be resupplied regardless of where they are from or the conditions in the pet store. It has nothing to do with the animal itself, which does need a good home. pet stores are often not equipped to keep turtles or tortoises. I received my water turtle from a pet smart who was vomiting blood and was with a species from a different continent that was attacking him constantly. I may have saved that one turtle, but there is a good possibility another will be put in the same situation in its place. he was also filled with parasites and his shell was burned, AND there was a vet attached to the pet store the turtle apparently did not go to.

so yes my turtle found a good home, but did another turtle take its place?

I want to add that this thread is clearly a different situation - the tortoise will not be replaced due to lack of demand. I see no reason not to take him.

also not arguing, just throwing my thoughts out there
Thank you for this reply. I typed a few responses and ended up deleting them. You hit this dead on.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
I worked alongside retail stores for a while, and a lot of managers dislike it when corporate sends tortoises to their store. Animals that cost more than $50 are very hard to place and tortoises don't sell well to begin with. In contrast, a busy store can sell a dozen beardies/leopard geckos within a few days, at about $30 each. This also goes for rodents and certain types of fish. Tortoises aren't profitable, they're not the reason that these stores sell live animals.

The supply-demand doesn't work like what you would expect. Sometimes it doesn't matter if the first shipment hasn't sold - corporate will auto-order animals to that store and then the employees have to scramble to set up excess animals in a back room. It has to do with keeping contracts with the vendors, so the company has to order a minimum number of animals to ship, and figure out which stores to send them to, even if the animals aren't in demand. To reject the animals often means death (as that means they will have been on a truck for many days with no food/water), so stores will begrudgingly take them in.

You did this little guy a big favor :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

I realize I'm a hopeless case softy, but I actually cried when I saw this, and him in his first soak.

I'm so relieved he has a good home and is loved. :<3:

Sspaulding

California
Do you happen to be in Southern California? We just got a redfoot from petco on Monday and he was discounted at that price as well, I’ve been feeling so bad about the one that was left so I really hope it was him ? the enclosure looked the same as in the pics so I wanted to ask

ale92

Southern California
Thanks for all the messages! I do hope he is much happier now. He’s already eaten a little bit so that’s a huge relief. He retired immediately to his hide box so Ill leave him alone the first few days to let him adjust. @Sspaulding I am located in the Inland Empire!!! Which store did you get yours from???

Sspaulding

California
Thanks for all the messages! I do hope he is much happier now. He’s already eaten a little bit so that’s a huge relief. He retired immediately to his hide box so Ill leave him alone the first few days to let him adjust. @Sspaulding I am located in the Inland Empire!!! Which store did you get yours from???
Redlands petco in citrus plaza!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
We picked up a Redfoot under almost the exact same circumstances. Smaller than yours with more pronounced pyramiding ( maybe even the early stages of MBD). She has done well with us. Her growth had been stunted from her initial care but has turned around....slowly but surely. Most would have probably not been interested because of her condition ( and logically so)...but we are suckers for animals in trouble...and like challenges. We also brought to the pet store managers attention all the issues...with the entire scenario. Haven’t seen a tortoise or turtle for sale there since ( about 2 years)
I concur. You also have to wonder about breeders selling to big chain pet stores. Some irresponsible breeders have ruined dog breeds like cocker spaniels. I see a cross-bred tort every once in a while, & I wonder.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
*EDIT* got excited for a bit and thought it was the same store. I got mine in Riverside haha. All petco stores look similar I guess!
I'm no expert but I think yours is a cherry head red foot. There's a post about how to distinguish a red foot from a cherry head if you search on "cherry head" or "cherry head media" here on the forum. He sure looks like one from your photo.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thank you for all your replies!!!! I truly appeciate it! My main concern was the shell condition but it sounds like the pyramiding isnt a problem. I spent the last couple days preparing for supplies for the enclosure. After work today I will stop by Petco and buy the tortoise.

Ill send you all the luck in the world!!!
Congrats and best of luck with your new member of the family!!!! ???❤️

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
the thought process for me not buying at a pet store is perpetuating their abuse on animals. It is supply and demand - when there is demand, the pets will be resupplied regardless of where they are from or the conditions in the pet store. It has nothing to do with the animal itself, which does need a good home. pet stores are often not equipped to keep turtles or tortoises. I received my water turtle from a pet smart who was vomiting blood and was with a species from a different continent that was attacking him constantly. I may have saved that one turtle, but there is a good possibility another will be put in the same situation in its place. he was also filled with parasites and his shell was burned, AND there was a vet attached to the pet store the turtle apparently did not go to.

so yes my turtle found a good home, but did another turtle take its place?

I want to add that this thread is clearly a different situation - the tortoise will not be replaced due to lack of demand. I see no reason not to take him.

also not arguing, just throwing my thoughts out there

thNk you for saving that tort!
But go check to see if they put another in its place!!! We need to know what is happening .... poor tort..
Maybe go buy the mean one and keep him separate from the other one?
maybe he is mean because no one wants HIM? Instead they always take the “other one”? He is fighting for attention to be purchased??? Just a thought....

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Thanks for all the perspectives!!! I totally understand the reasoning behind not supporting pet stores and their treatment of animals. It definitely gave me pause, but the big thing is that this particular store will not be replacing the redfoot. I went in and the employee (different one this time) again confirmed that they would not be restocking redfoot tortoises. Hopefully that will remain the case. Anyways I plan to closely monitor his shell. Humidity for the enclosure is already at 80%.

poor wee man.... give him a raspberry on his butt for me!! ?
Soooooo cute!!!!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
thNk you for saving that tort!
But go check to see if they put another in its place!!! We need to know what is happening .... poor tort..
Maybe go buy the mean one and keep him separate from the other one?
maybe he is mean because no one wants HIM? Instead they always take the “other one”? He is fighting for attention to be purchased??? Just a thought....
if I had more money and space I would have SO MANY turtles and tortoises!!

the other dude was huge, and my turtle is tiny. had to pick tiny dude for space reasons