Redfoot Tortoise advise/help!

ashleighmaylouise

Hi, I have a redfooted tortoise who is 10cm in length and is apparently 2 years old, to me I think he is either not looked after properly or they just didn't know. I have had him for a week now, and he lives in a 4ft viv with cypress mulch for a substrate. He's also shown some signs of pyramiding.
My questions are...

1) is cypress mulch alright to use on its own?

2) how can I prevent/stop the pyramiding?

3) what is the best lighting/heating to use? I only have what the pet shop gave me which I understand could be a bad idea.

4) I also live in the uk so weather here can sometimes reach to a maximum of 22 degrees Celsius here, I know that's not hot enough for him, but when he does go out side in the summer, how could I keep or get it hotter for him?

Thanks so much for advance

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Please show us your lighting.
You'll need to keep temps in the 78-90 degree range and keep the humidity up past 70%. This can be done by closing off the top.

ashleighmaylouise

Thanks for the reply! The photos show my lighting and the viv

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465681109.624345.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465681109.624345.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 28
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465681118.043660.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465681118.043660.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 31

ashleighmaylouise

At night times I turn the uv tube off but I don't the basking light off? Should I leave it on or off at night times?

ashleighmaylouise

How low can the temps drop at night? Because I have done it once and the temps dropped to 20 degrees celcius?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks for the reply! The photos show my lighting and the viv
Change the bulb for a CHE(ceramic heat emitter ) you need it on a thermostat to control the heat. Leave that on 24/7, and keep your uv on for 12 to 14 hrs a day. If I was you I would take the cyprus mulch out, put a layer of coir in(can get coir cheap as chips from homebargains) then put the Cyprus mulch back in on top. This will help keep humidity high. Also line your viv with some plastic sheet(pond liner maybe) to prevent the base of you viv rotting instantly.

ashleighmaylouise

Thanks! That help a lot, I never even thought about using a liner for the bottom, and for the CHE would a 50W be fine?

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Hi and welcome!

Next to heat redfoots also need a high humidity (around 80%), especially when they are young. This will prevent further pyramiding. If you switch to coco coir or something similar, just pour water into a corner, stir and let the top layer dry out. This will keep the humidity up, but because his belly won't get wet he will not get shell rot as easily.

Have you already found the Tortoise Library website? It has some great info on redfoots. Also, the UK based website Tortoise Table has a lot of info on the right foods.

I live in the Netherlands and have about the same weather conditions. I put my tort outside only if it is warm enough (> 22 degrees C). You could also use a greenhouse (beware of overheating!) and/or a heated night box where he can warm up if needed. You probably still need a large! indoor enclosure also, because fulltime outside in our climate is not really feasible I believe.

Good luck and enjoy your new friend!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It's not very clear but it's the only photo I have to hand. This is a 4x2 at 2ft high viv. 150watt che at one end, and a 5.0uvb half the length of the viv. So the cooler end is dark too. Gives options for the tort. You'll probably get away with a 100watt che. Also note I have spaghnum moss in for them to bury into. This helps keep em humid when hiding.
Humidity will help prevent more pyramiding.IMG_20150508_200600.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Btw, that photo above is from when I first started. I don't feed tomatoe,kale or cabbage now.