Redfoot that doesn't like to get dirty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffanymac

5 Year Member
All right-y! Did all my research and had everything all set for her arrival. Had 1/2 the enclosure filled with a few inches of eco-earth substrate, moistened, not wet...humidity between 70-85%...half-log hide in the eco...some plastic plants strategically placed for cover/shelter...large bark water dish (pool!)...food dish...etc.

My issue is that she will not, and does not seem to like (AT ALL!) being in the dirt or being dirty! :rolleyes: I have picked her up and put her in it...tucked her down in it so she could feel how nice (supposidly) it is, but she climbs out EVERY TIME almost shaking her feet like a cat that has walked in water to get the stuff off!! I swear to you, she looks at me like "what the HECK did you do THAT for???" Then she walks over to her 'pool' and gets in - almost like to rinse off!

Even outside! I put her on the concrete and she walked over to the flower bed and touched her nose to the dirt and then stuck it up in the air and went the other way!

I have removed the substrate and now she will go into the bark hide when before she would go no where near it because of the eco.

I spritz her in the morning and she gets her nice long soak later in the day. Humidity is nice and steady in there. She is eating GREAT - drinking GREAT and pooping and peeing like a champ! So before I tell you all what I am using for her substrate, (don't want you all spanking me at once! :D) I was wondering if anyone else had a redfoot that just doesn't enjoy the 'dirt'!

I spoke to the breeder, and he says that all 4 of the little rf's were in the mixture of play sand, peatmoss and soil and did not really notice if one wasn't digging down or not.

Thoughts?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I am not a Redfoot keeper, but I just have to say I found your story hilarious. :D

Little Ollie has a big personality! ;)

I use cypress mulch and coco coir and sphagnum peat moss mixed together so I can pour water over it and mix it in to keep it moist and increase humidity for my Chaco tortoise. The substrate does not "stick" to Taco as far as I have seen. :p

Good luck making Ollie happy. :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My first thought is that the soil is colder than it is comfortable with- but that is mostly because I fight chilliness here in Nebraska much the time.

Exactly how new is it? It takes time for a new animal to get comfortable in its home, and having it picked up and moved just adds to the stress. If it is new, I would just leave it alone for a while.

Tiffanymac

5 Year Member
I have had Ollie since February 23rd. She seems incredibly happy! :D

Maybe she's not a 'normal/traditional' acting redfoot? :rolleyes:

I received her on a Tuesday and weighed her each Friday since. The first Friday she was 2.6oz, the second Friday she was 2.8oz and this past Friday she was an even 3oz (or 85.05 grams). So she's gaining weight nice and steady. Her eyes are bright and clear. She struts around all tall and perky. :p So I think she's doing great!

I have her on soft blanket fleece. There. I said it. And she LOVES it! She lays down on it all spread out...rubs her little face on it. When I'm holding her she does the same on my fuzzy shirts! Snuggles right in! I have it flat, she has never tried to get under it, she has never went potty on it and her little nails don't get caught on it.

I have a small under the tank heater on the one end with a ceramic heating bulb up above. She goes from one end to the other as she needs stopping to eat and drink along the way.

So that's how I've made her happy....she's unique I suppose, perhaps spoiled (a bit!) but that's her I guess ~ :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use soil mixed with peat moss and on top Cypress mulch. In the hide I just put long fibered moss and that's where he digs into to sleep. The substrate kind of flattens out, and he doesn't get dirty from it. Can you post some pictures of his enclosure......sounds like he's loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.