redfoot tail protruding and wagging

kdawg81

5 Year Member
Hello, I've had a male redfoot about 6 years now. I just saw something I've never seen him do before. When I walked in on him, he was standing under his light in kind of a play bow position, butt in the air. He stopped and came over to eat and I saw his tail was hanging down lower than I'd ever seen, dragging in the substrate, but then he tucked it back up and was normal for a few minutes, but then stuck his butt up in the area again while he was eating and then he started kind of wagging his tail around with his butt in the air. He did that for a few minutes. I just checked on him again and his tail is tucked back up normal now but he seems more annoyed than usual that I picked him up. I thought it might be a penis issue at first but I see no sign of his penis. And I googled but can't find anything like this. Does anyone know what's going on?

It doesnt seem to want me to upload my video but here is a photo

Attachments

• tail.png
    tail.png
    303.6 KB · Views: 23

kdawg81

5 Year Member
okay I feel stupid now. I finally found some other posts about this and I see they do this before they defecate. But he did not defecate, so now I'm worried that he could be constipated

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Hello, I've had a male redfoot about 6 years now. I just saw something I've never seen him do before. When I walked in on him, he was standing under his light in kind of a play bow position, butt in the air. He stopped and came over to eat and I saw his tail was hanging down lower than I'd ever seen, dragging in the substrate, but then he tucked it back up and was normal for a few minutes, but then stuck his butt up in the area again while he was eating and then he started kind of wagging his tail around with his butt in the air. He did that for a few minutes. I just checked on him again and his tail is tucked back up normal now but he seems more annoyed than usual that I picked him up. I thought it might be a penis issue at first but I see no sign of his penis. And I googled but can't find anything like this. Does anyone know what's going on?

It doesnt seem to want me to upload my video but here is a photo
This sounds like a boy having fun with himself.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Boys will be boys!
If you think he may be constipated though then make sure he is getting warm soaks for hydration.
My tort does that sometimes when he pees and passes urates too