Redfoot swimming pool update

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The cement pool has been in use for months now with fiberglass resin as a seal and stones placed in the resin to help the tortoise get a good grip. The problem has been in the cleaning. It holds 12 gallons of water and has a fountain filter but must be cleaned out with a cup and a bucket. Anyone attempting to build a pool, let me tell you what I've learned. Firstly, the 20" cement border is a MUST! It keeps dirt walked into the pool to a minimum and also allows the tortoises to bask on the ledge after a swim and it is also good for toenails. Secondly, if you go through all of the trouble to dig a pool and make a foundation, etc. Dig a drain field and pour a bag of granite chips or stones in it and incorporate a drainage system Maybe with a threaded pvc pipe and an end cap. This lack of foresight has been a real pain! (This is Julios pen. He hates me!) I'm in there scooping and cleaning way too often and getting chomped at! Next summer I'll make it twice as large and install a drain.

Attachments

• image_90.png
    image_90.png
    995.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
The cement pool has been in use for months now with fiberglass resin as a seal and stones placed in the resin to help the tortoise get a good grip. The problem has been in the cleaning. It holds 12 gallons of water and has a fountain filter but must be cleaned out with a cup and a bucket. Anyone attempting to build a pool, let me tell you what I've learned. Firstly, the 20" cement border is a MUST! It keeps dirt walked into the pool to a minimum and also allows the tortoises to bask on the ledge after a swim and it is also good for toenails. Secondly, if you go through all of the trouble to dig a pool and make a foundation, etc. Dig a drain field and pour a bag of granite chips or stones in it and incorporate a drainage system Maybe with a threaded pvc pipe and an end cap. This lack of foresight has been a real pain! (This is Julios pen. He hates me!) I'm in there scooping and cleaning way too often and getting chomped at! Next summer I'll make it twice as large and install a drain.

Very cool look....is there anyway you can run a hose to the pond and a hose away from the pond and match the in/out flow of water so that you can essentially set and walk away while it is doing its thing?