Redfoot substrate advice

muu

Hi, my boy Loki lives in/on coconut husk brick and bark mixed in his vivarium. I've noticed on the forum when people post pics, most redfoots seem to be bedded on bark. Am I doing wrong? Should he be on bark only?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Funny, I've found it to be just the opposite. I like bark, and I see most members like coco coir. It really depends upon you and what you like. If the coir works for you and your tortoise, and provides the kind of environment you want for your tortoise, then coir is good!

I just re-read your post and realize you use the coconut bark. I think most folks really do prefer the coir, not the bark. It comes in a compressed brick that you stick in a bucket of water and re-hydrate. At most pet stores its called Bed-A-Beast. You can just get some of that coir and mix it in with what you already have. It sort of levels it out and makes it easier for the tortoise to walk on.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I use a combination of cypress mulch, orchid bark and coco coir for my redfoot as part of a 'micro habitat' strategy and he seems to preferentially utilize the different areas at different times. That said, I've heard/read it recommended as a sole substrate many times. I think as long as it's not too wet it would be fine.

abclements

5 Year Member
I use coco coir solely and think it's great! It has never molded and it just takes some turning once every couple months, a good boiling water rinse every 6-9 months and its been working good for the past year and a half!

muu

Great thank you. That's put my mind at rest. I've one more question if anyone can answer? What's the average weight a 1 year old redfoot should weigh. He seems to be piling weight on all of a sudden since he reached 1 year mark. He doesn't look over weight. I put him on the scales this morning and he's 161kg. I don't seem to be able to find any info on it in my books nor the web. Any feedback would be gratefully received.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I have a red foot in both, a mix of coco coir and repti bark and then I have one in straight repti bark. I like the coco coir. It holds humidity better. But it dries very fast. I have to wet it down multiple times a day. I also have to feed the one in the coir on a rock or large plate because it gets EVERYWHERE! I've been very cautious because of the possibility of impaction. I would use both. Just be sure to keep it moist so they don't breath it in when it's dry and dusty.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I don't have a scale so I don't know what Zebulun weighs. But he feels like a rock. He grew 2 inches in a year. Went from 4 to 6 in 1 year. Completely out grew his log.