Redfoot spots on neck

R07x

Location (City and/or State)
London
Was wondering if anyone could help, while I was giving my tortoise a soak I noticed he has 2 white spots on either side of his neck, there new as I have never seen them before. Was wondering if this is something to be concerned about?
Yesterday he didn't seem himself and didn't have much to eat but he seems okay today and is also eating but I've now noticed these on his neck

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210413-135336_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20210413-135336_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210413_135438.jpg
    20210413_135438.jpg
    960.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210413_134948.jpg
    20210413_134948.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 65

ZenHerper

New Jersey
There are two wee pale bumps, one on each side just at the back of the mandible.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Was wondering if anyone could help, while I was giving my tortoise a soak I noticed he has 2 white spots on either side of his neck, there new as I have never seen them before. Was wondering if this is something to be concerned about?
Yesterday he didn't seem himself and didn't have much to eat but he seems okay today and is also eating but I've now noticed these on his neck
How long have you had the tortoise? Where did it come from? Do you happen to know whether it was imported or captive bred in the UK?

Do you have any other reptiles? Any recent additions? Has your tortoise had any contact with any other reptiles?

R07x

London
How long have you had the tortoise? Where did it come from? Do you happen to know whether it was imported or captive bred in the UK?

Do you have any other reptiles? Any recent additions? Has your tortoise had any contact with any other reptiles?
We've had him nearly 2months now, we bought him from a reptile shop, we believe he is captive bred in the UK. We have no other reptiles and our tortoise has had no contact with any other reptiles at all but in the reptile shop we had got him from the redfoods was all together all different ages and sizes but these spots have only just shown up?
After doing alot of research and speaking to a few members on here we came to the conclusion that the reptile shop didn't know what they was on about with redfoots as advice they gave was completely wrong

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
we do have a 100% confirmed case in a red foot now via necropsy of austwickia. these *could* be the same thing. hard to say from those pics. if its this bacteria this is how it works one day they dont have the bumps the next you see them. the only way to 100% know for sure is to have the spots removed and sent to a lab for testing. generally it requires a sort of punch biopsy to go deeper then the top layer of skin and will require usually a stitch to close the hole. can you get a better really up close pic of them possibly keeping it very clear (i know some cameras or phones have a hard time with macro mode)

R07x

London
we do have a 100% confirmed case in a red foot now via necropsy of austwickia. these *could* be the same thing. hard to say from those pics. if its this bacteria this is how it works one day they dont have the bumps the next you see them. the only way to 100% know for sure is to have the spots removed and sent to a lab for testing. generally it requires a sort of punch biopsy to go deeper then the top layer of skin and will require usually a stitch to close the hole. can you get a better really up close pic of them possibly keeping it very clear (i know some cameras or phones have a hard time with macro mode)
I can try and get some more closer and detailed pictures in a couple hours, I've tried searching on the Internet for what you said it could be but I cannot find a thing about it? Or maybe I'm searching it wrong?
Could it be hurting him? Is it something I should get looked at ASAP? Can it go on its own?

R07x

London
I don't know if these pictures are any good/better? The spots seem to have more a less completely disappeared today? Yesterday they was extremely noticeable and very white now there barely there?
I think the 2nd picture you can slightly see where it was

Attachments

• 20210414_095555.jpg
    20210414_095555.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210414_095532.jpg
    20210414_095532.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210414_095518.jpg
    20210414_095518.jpg
    691.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210414_095400.jpg
    20210414_095400.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 34

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
hmm those dont quite look the same. i cant be sure. keep an eye on them and i recc for now at least to be sure to keep separated and use good bio security practices i.e. either gloves to handle or use an ammonia based soap to wash between handling. ajax dish soap is a decent one. some of the symptoms are swelling in the upper body or legs, toenails falling off, more bumps, skin that gets kind of crusty (not shed) and may crack, facial structure changes or anything abnormal we dont have enough specimens yet to really know if this affects redfoots differently or not vs sulcata. the one we did test had many bumps and had just passed already. the spots to me look more noticeable in the pics in the first post then the close ups.

R07x

London
hmm those dont quite look the same. i cant be sure. keep an eye on them and i recc for now at least to be sure to keep separated and use good bio security practices i.e. either gloves to handle or use an ammonia based soap to wash between handling. ajax dish soap is a decent one. some of the symptoms are swelling in the upper body or legs, toenails falling off, more bumps, skin that gets kind of crusty (not shed) and may crack, facial structure changes or anything abnormal we dont have enough specimens yet to really know if this affects redfoots differently or not vs sulcata. the one we did test had many bumps and had just passed already. the spots to me look more noticeable in the pics in the first post then the close ups.
Okay thank you, I'll keep an eye on him to see if they come back as today it looks as if they have just disappeared, even in person today it looks like he never even had them yet yesterday they was so obvious and bright in colour, if they come back or if i have any more questions I'll be sure to ask Thank you for your advice

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
With @R07x living in the UK, I am less inclined to think that Austwickia chelonae would be involved in this case. That opinion is mostly based on the relative difficulty (added hassle and added expense) of importing tortoises into the UK. (If it were in the U.S. or Malaysia, different matter entirely.) Still, there could be mechanisms in the supply chains that we aren't aware of.

For some reason, I'm thinking we've seen a small number of reports on TFO about similar concerns of bumps(?) in redfoots(?) or possibly other species of tortoises in the UK. I could be mistaken. I haven't had a chance to go looking, but it would probably be from 2020, since I would not have been paying as close attention to the occasional mention of bumps or spots before then. I'm working from memory here (and a vague one, at that), so disclaimers apply.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
With @R07x living in the UK, I am less inclined to think that Austwickia chelonae would be involved in this case. That opinion is mostly based on the relative difficulty (added hassle and added expense) of importing tortoises into the UK. (If it were in the U.S. or Malaysia, different matter entirely.) Still, there could be mechanisms in the supply chains that we aren't aware of.

For some reason, I'm thinking we've seen a small number of reports on TFO about similar concerns of bumps(?) in redfoots(?) or possibly other species of tortoises in the UK. I could be mistaken. I haven't had a chance to go looking, but it would probably be from 2020, since I would not have been paying as close attention to the occasional mention of bumps or spots before then. I'm working from memory here (and a vague one, at that), so disclaimers apply.
we do have confirmed cases from thailand and one from the uk so sadly it is possible.