Redfoot Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Hello Everyone-looking for advice per usual :D

The Texas Reptile Show will be here in two weeks. According to their vendor list, they will have captive born Redfoot babies, which I am very interested in. Currently I have my two year old Boxie Mildred, and it took me months of research to make sure I was caring for her correctly-and I will NOT take on another if I feel I wont be able to provide great care ahead of time. My question-how different is the care of RF from Box turtles? I know they will have to be housed seprately. Mildred lives inside half the year in her 5 foot guinea pig cage with her powersun lamp, hides, bed a beast and her large water bowl (she fancies herself quite the swimmer). She eats worms, fruit, and even likes veggies-how much of a difference will a RF baby be? Thank you in advance for reading my long rambling post!!!!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Box turtles and RF's diet are very similair!
Red-foots need high humidity (80%) And heat. (75-80o cool side 95-100o basking spot)
Red like to hide alot...so plants and hides! etc...I cant answer much more as you've not asked anything specific!

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
tyler0912 said:
Box turtles and RF's diet are very similair!
Red-foots need high humidity (80%) And heat. (75-80o cool side 95-100o basking spot)
Red like to hide alot...so plants and hides! etc...I cant answer much more as you've not asked anything specific!

Thank you for your reply-so would a tortoise table suffice, and if so, would I need a fogger for humidity? I live in texas and have no central a/c so the house stays rather "tropical" in our reptile room-or would another enclosure be more suitable? Again, thanks so much for the help!

Jenn

5 Year Member
I have both a red foot and many box turtles. They are almost the same to keep. I did my research before buying my red foot and found it would be the easiest for me. The biggest difference I have found is the humidity. My box turtles can tolerate a lower humidity lever. Red foots do not hibernate. They eat less fruits veggies and live food. I find my red foot is also a bit of a picky eater. My adult box turtles eat everything they are given. Red foot often walks away if one of her favorites aren't mixes with the greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.