Redfoot not eating still adjusting

tortmomma417

Location (City and/or State)
Kyle, Tx
I got my redfoot two day ago and he has yet to eat or drink anything. Im sure it will take him some time to adjust and I'm working hard to give him his space right now, but after how long should I start to become concerned if he still hasn't consumed anything? I started with some chopped up apples and romaine lettuce. He now has cantaloupe, tomatoes and zucchini. Should I just let him adjust on his own time and not worry?

ZidaoW

Personally, my russian took about 2 days to start eating and drinking. Perhaps soak him to keep him from dehydrating. My tortoise was wild-caught and I think those take a little longer to adjust.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I got my redfoot two day ago and he has yet to eat or drink anything. Im sure it will take him some time to adjust and I'm working hard to give him his space right now, but after how long should I start to become concerned if he still hasn't consumed anything? I started with some chopped up apples and romaine lettuce. He now has cantaloupe, tomatoes and zucchini. Should I just let him adjust on his own time and not worry?
Hi.
Could take up to a week to feed. Make sure your temps(80/88f) and humidity (80%+) are correct, make sure it's not too bright and feed weeds/greens/flowers. Eventually he will eat. What you don't want is to start your tort off eating sugary fruits and vegetables. Just weeds/greens and flowers until he starts to eat.
How big/old is your redfoot?

tortmomma417

Kyle, Tx
Hi.
Could take up to a week to feed. Make sure your temps(80/88f) and humidity (80%+) are correct, make sure it's not too bright and feed weeds/greens/flowers. Eventually he will eat. What you don't want is to start your tort off eating sugary fruits and vegetables. Just weeds/greens and flowers until he starts to eat.
How big/old is your redfoot?

The temp is perfect - I've been struggling to keep the humidity up. It's at 77 right now so I was going to get a humidifier today. He was a rescue so they weren't sure about the age but he's about 6 inches. He's in a 40 gal tank with a thermometer on each end and a hygrometer in the center. He has a hide, moss, cypress mulch, his water that is large enough for him to soak in and his food. He also has a basking lamp and a UVB lamp. He just seems very stressed out and I want to make sure he's as comfortable as possible - especially since he was so easy going when I got him.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The temp is perfect - I've been struggling to keep the humidity up. It's at 77 right now so I was going to get a humidifier today. He was a rescue so they weren't sure about the age but he's about 6 inches. He's in a 40 gal tank with a thermometer on each end and a hygrometer in the center. He has a hide, moss, cypress mulch, his water that is large enough for him to soak in and his food. He also has a basking lamp and a UVB lamp. He just seems very stressed out and I want to make sure he's as comfortable as possible - especially since he was so easy going when I got him.
77 is ok. Just give him time, it's a strange new world for him at the moment. They can go weeks and weeks without eating. It's not the panic stage yet.