Redfoot- Nictitating Membrane healthy?

Macca33

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Is the nictitating membrane in this picture showing signs of infection, or is this a sign of mild stress? Maybe it looks normal and I'm being paranoid.
20200227_115331.jpg

Within the past week or so, this tort has experienced an enclosure change and some varying temps as I dialed in the temperature in the enclosure. Temp range wasn't too alarming, but was on the hot side for a while (95F) then a bit cool (75-78). I got an infrared thermometer and was able to dial the temps in at 86-87F at shell height- with an area in the back including the hide, away from the CHE reading around 80F.

Humidity varies a little, depending on if enclosure door is open or was opened recently, when it drops into the 70% range, but easily stays around 80-90% when closed.

The tortoise eats well, drinks water, and seems to use it's water dish for some brief soaking. I also have a 36" Reptisun T5 HO UV light mounted on the top pointed straight down with a couple plants mounted to the ceiling to break up the light just a little.

Occasionally he "rampages" through the enclosure, knocking over plants and gauges, and digging about. But I think this is normal behavior?

Thanks in advance for the input everyone.

Macca33

MN
LOL. Thanks for weighing in. ?

Nice looking redfoot, BTW! I think the charcoal (artist charcoal stick) color of the shell looks awesome- nice and smooth too. How old is he/she?

side note about the rampaging: I wonder if there are things we can provide to give the torts something 'to do' ? Tho having asked that, it seems maybe rampaging is what they like to do (dig, forage, explore, etc)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoises. Redfoot included often plow over and through plants and decorations. Even in huge outdoor enclosures, if a tortoise decides that a walking path should go where some hedges are....By by plants.
Let them show you where to try placing a plant or two. By placing it away from where the animal paces or travels around the place.
They have no appreciation of our nice landscaping.
The eyes look good.
Is your T5 a 5.0 or a 10.0?
Is it through a screen?
How far away from the tortoise is it?
There could still be an issue with too much UVB exposure. But that'll be easy to fix.
(And free)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
LOL. Thanks for weighing in. ?

Nice looking redfoot, BTW! I think the charcoal (artist charcoal stick) color of the shell looks awesome- nice and smooth too. How old is he/she?

side note about the rampaging: I wonder if there are things we can provide to give the torts something 'to do' ? Tho having asked that, it seems maybe rampaging is what they like to do (dig, forage, explore, etc)
He's about 4 years now. Murphy honestly rampages when he doesn't get what he wants. Whenever I change or add something to his enclosure he's gonna rampage usually lol

Macca33

MN
Tortoises. Redfoot included often plow over and through plants and decorations. Even in huge outdoor enclosures, if a tortoise decides that a walking path should go where some hedges are....By by plants.
Let them show you where to try placing a plant or two. By placing it away from where the animal paces or travels around the place.
They have no appreciation of our nice landscaping.
The eyes look good.
Is your T5 a 5.0 or a 10.0?
Is it through a screen?
How far away from the tortoise is it?
There could still be an issue with too much UVB exposure. But that'll be easy to fix.
(And free)
"bye bye plants"...lol" like my two-year old. But you pose a great idea! I'll observe his paths and work around them and see if he leaves the decorations alone. Tho I guess if the decorations only serve my interest I prob don't need them. I plan on putting safe/edible live plants in tho, so that is really a good idea.

I was wondering about my T5 and distance.... it's a 5.0. there is no screen and it's 12" from the bottom of the enclosure but with substrate means it's prob around 7.5" above the tortoise's shell. it points straight down. I have it diffused with vine-like plants to break up some of the UV...

Macca33

MN
"bye bye plants"...lol" like my two-year old. But you pose a great idea! I'll observe his paths and work around them and see if he leaves the decorations alone. Tho I guess if the decorations only serve my interest I prob don't need them. I plan on putting safe/edible live plants in tho, so that is really a good idea.

I was wondering about my T5 and distance.... it's a 5.0. there is no screen and it's 12" from the bottom of the enclosure but with substrate means it's prob around 7.5" above the tortoise's shell. it points straight down. I have it diffused with vine-like plants to break up some of the UV...
Here's a pic of the modified Boaphile cage-enclosure:
20200227_192609.jpg

Macca33

MN
He's about 4 years now. Murphy honestly rampages when he doesn't get what he wants. Whenever I change or add something to his enclosure he's gonna rampage usually lol
I'm finding it's hilarious and also a bit ridiculous how willful they can be. It's really amusing. I put some amethyst in the enclosure to add interest-really for me not the tort- and upon finding it wasn't edible, Raph bulldozed it over. But what was really funny is that he then B-lined it over to the other amethyst and bulldozed it over without tasting it! Like he was saying "I'll have none of this in my house!!" ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

A T5 5.0 with no screen should be about 15"-20" above your Redfoot.
Even at 20" that'd be more than adequate UV.
Is that something you can do easily?

Macca33

MN
A T5 5.0 with no screen should be about 15"-20" above your Redfoot.
Even at 20" that'd be more than adequate UV.
Is that something you can do easily?
Not without some major modifications to the enclosure. I could put a screen between the light and the enclosure, and ad some more hanging plants to diffuse the UV... do you think that would do the trick?

If not, I wonder if there a replacement bulb I could put into the same hood to reduce the UV...

I've got the bulb turned off for now...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Not without some major modifications to the enclosure. I could put a screen between the light and the enclosure, and ad some more hanging plants to diffuse the UV... do you think that would do the trick?

If not, I wonder if there a replacement bulb I could put into the same hood to reduce the UV...

I've got the bulb turned off for now...
At that distance, an older T8 would work.
Yes. In this case, I'd place a window type screen under it to cut the UV by half.
Redfoot aren't a species that require a lot of UV. And I think that doing that would work.
Without a SOLARMETER, this is a guess. But I feel like it's a good guess because I use the same lights and through screen I have a reading of 3.3 at 12".
This should give you near 4- 5 at 8"
4 would be great.
So let's assume that through a screen and with plants also blocking some rays, we'll be very close.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm finding it's hilarious and also a bit ridiculous how willful they can be. It's really amusing. I put some amethyst in the enclosure to add interest-really for me not the tort- and upon finding it wasn't edible, Raph bulldozed it over. But what was really funny is that he then B-lined it over to the other amethyst and bulldozed it over without tasting it! Like he was saying "I'll have none of this in my house!!" ?
You think the rampage is ridiculous for a Russian...try a big Sulcata...anyhow, I have a box turtle who has nictitating membrane off and on. I can't take a good closeup but even at that you can see the bump, her infection makes the membrane swollen in her case terramycin eye ointment but it comes back periodically...024.JPG027.JPG026.JPG

Macca33

MN
At that distance, an older T8 would work.
Yes. In this case, I'd place a window type screen under it to cut the UV by half.
Redfoot aren't a species that require a lot of UV. And I think that doing that would work.
Without a SOLARMETER, this is a guess. But I feel like it's a good guess because I use the same lights and through screen I have a reading of 3.3 at 12".
This should give you near 4- 5 at 8"
4 would be great.
So let's assume that through a screen and with plants also blocking some rays, we'll be very close.
With your UV reading as a guide, I agree with your assessment that a window screen with plants to further diffuse the UV should get us close. I got some window screen in the garage- I'll cut some tonight.
(I plan on getting a solarmeter at some point, but they are pricey. I can see that they are worth the price tho.)

@ZEROPILOT -I very much appreciate your guidance. ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
With your UV reading as a guide, I agree with your assessment that a window screen with plants to further diffuse the UV should get us close. I got some window screen in the garage- I'll cut some tonight.
(I plan on getting a solarmeter at some point, but they are pricey. I can see that they are worth the price tho.)

@ZEROPILOT -I very much appreciate your guidance. ?
JOSH'S FROGS sells a 6.5r SOLARMETER for just under $200.
Not cheap. But you'll have it for the rest of your reptile keeping days.