Redfoot nesting ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAV46

5 Year Member
Hello All,
I currently have 4 redfoots and they all are kept in an outdoor pen for the spring/summer. Lat year one of my females got eggbound which required an expensive visit to the vet. I tried incubating the eggs but no luck my guess is they werent fertile. My question is one of my males 'Leonard' has taken a liking to her and is very active courting and well you know the rest... how can i best create an area for her to lay her eggs? The soil in Georgia is very hard red clay so I was thinking of digging an area out and filling with a better mixture of dirt. What size are do you think this should be and what type of soil should it consist of?
The pen today is mostly grass and very hard dirt with some shaded areas (trees outside the pen) and a shed where the torts retreat.
any suggestions would be appreciated in building a nest area.
Thanks

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I have not done the breeding thing yet, but your idea about digging an area out and replacing it with a good mixture sounds like good idea. As far as the area, I would think the bigger the better to give her plenty of space to decide on.

Good Luck..

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
This rather tricky. My females have laid in various places all over the yard in different types of areas. I think you are on the right path with digging out an area and adding better soil. You may dig out several spots, some that are more shady and some that are more sunny. Good top soil would work for the nesting area. Also some low plants like small palms would aid in helping the tort feel more secure. Another thing I have noticed is that the female typically likes to have something at her back side when she's laying; such as a corner of the enclosure or a plant. The main thing that I have noticed is that my females will lay in a spot that gets a fair amount ofsunlight (but not too much sunlight), has some sort of plant or corner nearby, and also has good soil which will hold its form while she is digging her nest.

When push comes to shove the tortoise will lay in the spot that she deems best and sometimes they wont even use the nesting area provided. Its all up to the tortoise to "cooperate".

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
You also can build an above ground nesting box using 2x12 treated lumber. A few concrete stakes and some sinkers ( nails), easy to do and “ you can control the substrate” ..I mix mine 50/30/20 soil to sand to green moss ( helps retain moisture) I do however add a base of pea gravel for run~off and to let soil “breath“. I actually use this same system within my tortoise house even though they have access to a large outdoor yard, so they may “nest” during the cold months. You can build this to “ size” to fit your needs , along with a sloping dirt ramp … “ bingo “ your all set.

" Happy Nesting"

JD~:)
PS ....Most Cherrys and Rfs .... like to nest up against a wall , rock , log....:D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Mine always start nesting later in the afternoon in a spot that gets alot of sun. They also never nest inside a nesting box, mine nest in the yard. All torts are different and take advantage of whats available for them. Mine always want to nest when its cold and I set a basking light for them to keep them warm. Alot of people have had good success with a nesting box just not me:D

DAV46

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! Those are some good suggestions. I definately will make sure to have a few places. I know what will happen the first rain though, they all will convert one to a Redfoot Mud Spa and all pile in but that is ok too. i will definately dig near some sort of backing. I like the idea of a raised box too so may through that inside the shed. I attached a pic of my tortoise shed just to share. It now has a divided fence in the middle so the RF's are on the right side and my Aldabra has the left. next project - Nest Sites!

Attachments

• fullshot.jpg
    fullshot.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 92

DAV46

5 Year Member
Thanks- both sides have the ramps and hatches- one for the aldabra and the other side for the 4 redfoots. Of course inside there is a divider with the aldabra having the kingsize bed of course, haha. Alot has changed since that pic, a few small palms and more fencing. Now to make nest sites....

Marinalk

5 Year Member
Maryland
Right. That is a killer tortoise pen and house. Funny I thought of using the very same fencing. I want to redo my pen this spring. Are there any down sides to using a fence that they can see through?

Status
Not open for further replies.