REDFOOT ESCAPED!

chipperchip

5 Year Member
I need advice from other redfoot owners with information on what my redfoot's behavior might be? I let Chip out for a few hours a day. He stays along my back fence in heavy shrubbery. Sometimes he camouflages in the bushes and leaves, so I have been putting bright blue painter's tape on his back so he is easy to spot. I checked on him and he was basking in the sunlight through the branches. I went to get him to bring him in for the night and he is either burrowed under some dead leaves, or he is on the run. This has never happened before and I have spent many hours searching for him until after dark. I am heartbroken and will be outside first thing in morning to see if he comes out. Can anyone tell me what to look out for? Will he go into open grass? He has always stayed under cover of the bushes and has never left the back fence. Do they have a good sense of smell? Should I put out any certain food for him? Please advise me as to what behaviors I should look for when the sun rises?

Melis

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Oh no! There have been other posts recently about missing torts. People have suggested to put out their favorite foods and provide water. Get your neighbors involved too! Lots of good stories lately about the torts being found, so keep the faith!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do as mentioned and look first thing when the sun comes out. Put up flyers, inform neighbors and local rescues and vets.
Then build a proper enclosure and never let him outside again without being in a proper enclosure.
They don't come when called and can't learn boundry lines like a dog. Must always be in an enclosure.

chipperchip

5 Year Member
We were all outside and can see him due to the blue tape. The dogs also keep tabs on him and let me know where his location is. I am feeling so terrible because I have had him for around 5 years and have taken very good care of him. He always stays along the fence and never strays from that area, so I took it for granted that he would stay there. Believe me, I am beating myself up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't mean to beat you up, I'm sure you feel bad. But, that's why they always need to be in an enclosure. Also, before it happens, keep the dogs away. They should never be able to get too or see your tortoise before you. One day they will chew him up. You and your tort don't want too feel that pain.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, and most do get found, so keep looking every day. Dig with your hands in the leaves and under bushes where you usually see him.
Also, although he needs a proper enclosure for this very reason and too keep the dogs away from him, some have put things on their torts like tied a balloon or something that sticks up so they are easily spotted. This is though as a precaution while they are out with their tort and watching them every second, because, even when being right with them, just a few seconds of looking away and smaller tort can disappear into the leaves, weeds, etc.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
So sorry you can't find your tortoise, good luck and hopefully you will find him soon.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
During the mid day, he will be hiding under a bush or something.
You'll find him moving first thing in the morning or at dusk.
School is out. So place a small reward on him and tell some neighborhood area kids.
He may not have gone very far. Just hid very well.

daniellenc

Maryland
Morning and evening is when you’ll likely see him. Put out his favorite treats. Is your yard fenced in? If so are there gaps and open areas? If it’s enclosed he’s in your yard somewhere and likely to show up soon. I second building and enclosure and keeping the dog away. Too many horror stories to risk it.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
I am so very sorry. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you. Sending positive thoughts and a hug.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
There is a free app called Alfred home security camera. It allows you to turn your phone into a motion activated camera. If you have an old cell phone you don't use you could install this app on it. If you put out some food you could maybe use this to see if your RF is coming back and eating what you put out.

chipperchip

5 Year Member
Thank you everybody for your great suggestions and thoughtful messages. Chip has been found!!!! He ended up in a neighbor's yard who lives diagonally behind me. I keep the blue painter's tape on him to see him through the weeds and bushes. He must have been burrowed pretty deep to hide from me that well!. The neighbors knew I was looking for him and put him in a dog crate with food and water until they were able to find me. I said my prayers to St. Anthony (patron of lost items) and St. Francis (patron of animals/pets) and my prayers were answered! I have learned a very valuable lesson and will not make the mistake of taking my eyes off of him again!

Attachments

• chipreunited.jpg
    chipreunited.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 43

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you everybody for your great suggestions and thoughtful messages. Chip has been found!!!! He ended up in a neighbor's yard who lives diagonally behind me. I keep the blue painter's tape on him to see him through the weeds and bushes. He must have been burrowed pretty deep to hide from me that well!. The neighbors knew I was looking for him and put him in a dog crate with food and water until they were able to find me. I said my prayers to St. Anthony (patron of lost items) and St. Francis (patron of animals/pets) and my prayers were answered! I have learned a very valuable lesson and will not make the mistake of taking my eyes off of him again!
Great news. Just went through the same thing. Not fun.