Redfoot escape

thxkbye

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
My male redfoot escaped my yard today. I am devastated. The yard has one flaw and the stars had to align for it to happen and it did. He escaped from a fallen piece of fence board that allowed him just enough leverage to climb over and through the fence. I put him outside for some sun for a few hours as I usually do a couple times a week.

I have a few questions, as I will be looking for him extensively. The area he went into behind my house is a hillside which goes down into the neighbors back yard. There is a lot of vegetation in the area he went into. Bushes, cactus, honeysuckle, and weeds.

How far will these animals travel in a day? My camera shows he escaped sometime between 4:30pm and 5pm. He goes off view towards the area of escape around that time. When will he likely wake up and look for warmth? The area he is in wont get direct sun until around 11am pacific time.

I am so sorry, this happened. If i can get him back i will make my yard fort knox before he goes back outside ever again.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
First thing to do is to make your neighbors aware that he is loose. A lot of times others will find them before the owner will. The next most important thing is to think like a tortoise. He will need to warm up before traveling, so looking in the morning will mean looking where he might have hunkered down for the night—under plants, near something that might radiate some warmth, etc. This time of year at 5:00 p.m. here in Connecticut, my Russian is looking to bed down for the night. I’m not sure about your location. Maybe the time of day he went missing will mean he’s closer to home. I’m praying you find him soon.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
First thing to do is to make your neighbors aware that he is loose. A lot of times others will find them before the owner will. The next most important thing is to think like a tortoise. He will need to warm up before traveling, so looking in the morning will mean looking where he might have hunkered down for the night—under plants, near something that might radiate some warmth, etc. This time of year at 5:00 p.m. here in Connecticut, my Russian is looking to bed down for the night. I’m not sure about your location. Maybe the time of day he went missing will mean he’s closer to home. I’m praying you find him soon.
Also, where does he like to hang in the shade or hide in your backyard? Look for similar surroundings. Post signs or if you have neighborhood watch or homeowners association online, post there.

We immediately get notices of wild animal sightings or lost animals on our homeowners assoc. online board. Fingers & toes crossed you find him.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Neighborhood children have great luck finding them.
Offer a small reward and best of luck.
I've had tortoises escape twice now. And now BOTH times I caught the fugitive tortoise trying to BREAK BACK IN for food or familiar shelter.
This past time, my gardener found two that escaped for 3 days stuck under my privacy fence in the direction of my yard.
That temporary enclosure had failed.
They may leave, but they seem to stay close by. At least that's been my experience.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
^ What he said.

The likelihood he is traveling a fast, straight line Out is low -- torts are territorial and will explore cautiously around Home base.

Kids have excellent eyesight and are closer to the ground. lol They are better at distinguishing patterns in shade...show them photos and describe his size. Suspect every shrubby bush or clump of crab grass. Tread slowly and gently...you are trying to find the rocks, both round and flat (a steep slope poses a rolling complication).

A Redfoot in particular will have trouble finding fun meats to eat in the wild...if you have fed him shrimp or eggs, try boiling a pot outside or with an open window.

Marshall77

Oregon
Oh dear oh dear. I hope you have honest neighbors that will return him but not even the most honest neighbor can return him if they can't make the connection, So yes it's important to get the word out.

thxkbye

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It has been tough for me to sleep the last few nights, I have gone on excursions looking for him at various times throughout the day. I will continue to look. I have let the neighbors know and posted on nextdoor as well. I was going to try putting out some bellpepper tomorrow as they are very fragrant and he absolutely loves them. If i see they have gone missing at least i know he might still be around.

Florida
Iv had my Redfoots escape quite frequently they usually get around pretty fast but they shouldn’t go too far last time i just asked my neighbors if possible to look through their yard you’ll have to look VERY carefully though as they’re good hiders

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Neighborhood children have great luck finding them.
Offer a small reward and best of luck.
I've had tortoises escape twice now. And now BOTH times I caught the fugitive tortoise trying to BREAK BACK IN for food or familiar shelter.
This past time, my gardener found two that escaped for 3 days stuck under my privacy fence in the direction of my yard.
That temporary enclosure had failed.
They may leave, but they seem to stay close by. At least that's been my experience.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It has been tough for me to sleep the last few nights, I have gone on excursions looking for him at various times throughout the day. I will continue to look. I have let the neighbors know and posted on nextdoor as well. I was going to try putting out some bellpepper tomorrow as they are very fragrant and he absolutely loves them. If i see they have gone missing at least i know he might still be around.
We have a partially feral cat who snuck outside & was gone from the house for about 2 weeks. I finally hear her crying about 2 weeks later. I put down some food in the garage & managed to trap her. Although this crazy old woman was walking the ENTIRE neighborhood for days, we don't think she roamed too far.

Still got my fingers & toes crossed!!