Redfoot enclosure

subiemoosie

Location (City and/or State)
College Station, Texas
Hello,
So I am wanting to get a baby redfoot in the next month or two. My ultimate goal was to keep him outside in my backyard in a homemade pen. However, I have been advised to not house baby redfoots outside. I live in the Houston area where it is hot and humid so I thought it would be a good idea, but if the humidity is too fickle and the babies are too sensitive then I understand. So, what I am asking now is, what is the shortest period of time I can keep my baby inside before transferring to an outdoor enclosure? Or, could I keep him outside during the day and inside at night, etc.? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello,
So I am wanting to get a baby redfoot in the next month or two. My ultimate goal was to keep him outside in my backyard in a homemade pen. However, I have been advised to not house baby redfoots outside. I live in the Houston area where it is hot and humid so I thought it would be a good idea, but if the humidity is too fickle and the babies are too sensitive then I understand. So, what I am asking now is, what is the shortest period of time I can keep my baby inside before transferring to an outdoor enclosure? Or, could I keep him outside during the day and inside at night, etc.? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
The first couple years are crucial for smooth growth. You want to provide the most optimal conditions during this time and you won't be able to outside. It would be best to keep the tortoise in a closed chamber for about two years or until the tort reaches about 5-6".

MissTurtleGurl

Houston
Hello,
Thanks
Hi! I am a fellow houstonian that is also planning on getting a red foot. From what I understand about Houston’s humidity is that the average is 55-65% which is too low for a hatchling. I think that you probably should keep them indoor for at least the first year or even first year and half because of predators and their humidity requirements. I have had raccoons and opossums try to steal my RES from her outdoor enclosure; I think you should maybe air on the side of caution with their size before you let them out.

MissTurtleGurl

Houston
View attachment 295949
What do you guys think of this for the base of an indoor enclosure?
I think a cement mixing tub from Home Depot might be cheaper but 1 foot shorter. I got a large cement mixing tub 36inx24in for $13. But I have seen people on the forum recommend closed enclosures so maybe consider that too? Personally, I am using an open cement mixing tub with lots of moist hides.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
With the covers, how much space do you need to allow for airflow? Could foil work?
You don't really need any space for airflow. The less the better to maintain the humidity. There will be air exchange every day when you feed/soak. You can also use something like this for awhile. The bigger you can find the better

MissTurtleGurl

Houston
With the covers, how much space do you need to allow for airflow? Could foil work?
From what I’ve seen on the forum, air flow isn’t a requirement. All of the closed enclosures look almost air tight which is why I opted for an open enclosure.
I have seen some people use pop-up greenhouses and they put their bins, lights, etc inside the greenhouse, but those are a minimum of $30 to accommodate proper size of enclosure you need for a hatchling.

Last edited:

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
Couldn't I just partially close the container?
Personally I would go for a fully enclosed chamber, or how ever the care sheet for your species is required. The care sheets are written by people with years of experience and offer the best conditions for your tortoise. If you really care about the tortoise you plan on getting, why not give it the most optimal care?

subiemoosie

College Station, Texas
I'm just wondering how I close a container and open it every day to feed and clean, etc. And how do I attach the lights with them burning/melting the plastic they touch? Do tortoises not need oxygen?

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
I'm just wondering how I close a container and open it every day to feed and clean, etc. And how do I attach the lights with them burning/melting the plastic they touch? Do tortoises not need oxygen?
Here’s an example of before and after from open top to closed chamber. You might need to do some labor to achieve your desired enclosure. I used door hinges on the front part to easily open and close. You can perhaps use the method of sliding doors, but I found this easier.

Attachments

• D978A546-5873-49A3-9BE2-82A238F09E0C.png
    D978A546-5873-49A3-9BE2-82A238F09E0C.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 44
  • E8262EAA-BCFB-4D52-83F1-41B96707290D.jpeg
    E8262EAA-BCFB-4D52-83F1-41B96707290D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45

MissTurtleGurl

Houston
Most reptiles don’t require the same amount of oxygen that mammals need to survive; however, many agree that they need airflow to prevent them from getting sick. Stagnant moist air can be a breeding ground for bacteria, viruses, and fungi. It seems that many from the forum have been able to successfully keep their tortoise in a closed setup without them getting an URI. I would recommend that you do a lot of research and consider your options.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The easiest way would be to get a radiant heat panel and a small tube uvb. If you can get your tort outside a couple hours a week you don't even need a uvb inside. You could just use a regular light bulb for light. And it doesn't even need to be inside the tub it could just be above it. Either way you can screw the radiant heat panel and Uvb fixture into the lid. You could also use a ceramic heat emitter but you'd have to cut the top and line it with something like tin foil so it doesn't melt the plastic. Whatever heat source you go with get a thermostat. That way you can set the temperature to stay where you want it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Here in Florida, I keep my RF outdoors year round.
And they mostly go outside as soon as the umbilical scar heals.
During the less humid winter months, I use an overhead "rain system". Its nothing more than overhead PVC pipe and some sprinkler heads with a remote on/off valve.
In a warm, humid climate, outdoors enclosures can sure simplify everything!

LLG

Ohio
Here’s an example of before and after from open top to closed chamber. You might need to do some labor to achieve your desired enclosure. I used door hinges on the front part to easily open and close. You can perhaps use the method of sliding doors, but I found this easier.
This looks great! What did you line it with and What are the dimensions of the enclosure?

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
This looks great! What did you line it with and What are the dimensions of the enclosure?
Forgot the exact name, but I found it in Home Depot whole looking for some seeds. It’s used to hold humidity for the soil.

7ft x 2ft.