Redfoot Craigslist Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplyMaineSeaGlass

5 Year Member
So.... My husband and I had been thinking about adding a tortoise to our family for years now. A couple of days ago I stumbled on a craigslist ad for a "Free Russian Tortoise with complete set up". I emailed the woman and she said that they had gotten the tortoise for their 8 year old son about two years ago and her son wanted nothing to do with it now. I knew we had to give this lil guy a better home. When I went to pick him up I knew right off the bat that he wasn't a Russian Tortoise.... I had seen enough photos to know that much. His tank was smelly and very dirty. He was about 6" long and being housed on hay in a 20 gallon long aquarium. After doing so research we figured out that he is not a he at all but a she and a redfoot tortoise at that. I emailed around and I'm picking up a 55 gallon long aquarium and stand in the morning to give her some more space, we added a reptile walk-in pool/water dish (12" across), wooden hideout, UVA/UVB light, heat lamp and under tank heater as well as changed her bedding to coconut fiber. We've fed her a small amount of pet store tortoise food as well as fresh veggies over the past day in a half and she seem to really be perking up. I've been misting her and her tank 3 times a day and interacting with her as much as possible.
I guess my question is:
What else should we be doing for her housing and diet wise to make sure she's happy and healthy? I've added a couple of photo of her....she has yet to be named.

securedownload-2_zps932d158b.jpg

securedownload_zpsd179c225.jpg

securedownload-1_zpsf0cb5d8a.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, good for you for getting her. Can't believe they had her for a couple years and didn't know what they had, that's sad. Check out the tortoiselibrary.com for some good info. Written by one of our members. Others will be along to help too. Good luck. She's cute.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi SimplyMaineSeaGlass, and welcome to the Forum!!

First thing I would do is get rid of the hay you're using to cover the floor of the habitat (this is called substrate), and use something that you can moisten. My preference is orchid bark, but there are many things you can use. You have to find one that suits you and your tortoise.

Then, read what Mark has to say about the redfooted tortoises in the Tortoise Library

That poor tortoise...being kept all that time like a russian tortoise. Thank goodness you "stumbled" upon the craigslist ad!!!!!

SimplyMaineSeaGlass

5 Year Member
@ wellington~
Thank you for the info, we will be sure to check out that website!!

@ emysemys~
Thank you so much for sharing the information! We've already changed her substrate over to coconut fiber and she seems happier already!!!

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I like a combo of orchid bark, moss, soil and leaflitter. Plant it up using plants such as bromeliads and hibiscus-attractive, hardy, and native to south america. Some other foods for your diet:
In captivity, the basis of a red foot's diet should be 30-40% fruit and 60-70% weeds, veg, salad and flowers. They should also have access to a cuttle fish bone and a calcium supplement such as like Nekton MSA(you can boy this from amazon.com). Every fortnight a form of protein should be provided, often people use low fat, premium dog pellets or boiled chicken.
Good veg and weeds to use: Funghi, rocket, watercress, lambs lettuce, raddichio, carrot(in small quantities), cauliflower heart(small quantities), plantain, hibiscus, clover, forget-me-not, dandelion, kale(in limited amounts), escarole, chicory, endive, evening primrose, prickly pear and other cactuses, courgettes, bromeliads, squash and zucchini(although technically a fruit), peppeers(technically a fruit), mallow, cornflowers, thistle, pansies, vetch, bittercress and dead nettle.
Fruit: Lichees, bananas(very little though), strawberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, blackberries, papaya, mango, lichee, passion fruit, sharon fruit, pear, apple, kiwi,fig, cactus fruit, melon, blackberries,apricot, peach,plum, raspberries and blueberries.
Also check out the tortoisetable site for more safe weeds. They absoloutely love funghi so if they stop eating have a go with these.

Also what are your temps and humidity?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Nice save...I must say, for being on hay she isn't Pyramiding very much, thats good...I would suggest putting a layer of cypress mulch, or some type of mulch o top of the color. The reason being. Redfoots need constant humidity, 80% and above. With that said they are liable to get shell rot, or a fungus. This will help. Go to tortoiselibrary.com there is lots of good info on there...oh, try some steamed sweet potatoes...

SimplyMaineSeaGlass

5 Year Member
I wanted to upload some updated photo of our new lil girl. We've ordered cypress mulch and it should be here early next week. We're also waiting for her new lights to be delivered... UV lamp and Ceramic heat lamp!

securedownload_zpse07f65af.jpg

securedownload_zpsc302a18f.jpg

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Cute! I've never tried sweet potato with mine...

But my Rosie loves anything red! She tried to eat my red polished toenails one time.

I use cypress mulch mixed with peat moss and have had good results with it keeping humidity and not getting too muddy for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.