Redfoot Bought From Petco

vlonethug

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Ana , CA
You really only need a closed chamber for Hatchlings and young torts. Your tortoise is large enough to get by with an open top. You could get away with spraying down the substrate and adding plants to boost humidity.
Hey so . I’m looking to buy a wooden enclosure that is 8ft x 4ft and 11 inches deep . I figure this wooden enclosure made of redwood will be suitable for my redfoot tortoise . But I’m concerned about keeping the humidity and temperature at an appropriate level . So how exactly would I use my UVB and UVA light for both heat and lighting purposes ? Would I need to make a mesh like top for it ? Or what do you recommend ?

vlonethug

Santa Ana , CA
Hey so . I’m looking to buy a wooden enclosure that is 8ft x 4ft and 11 inches deep . I figure this wooden enclosure made of redwood will be suitable for my redfoot tortoise . But I’m concerned about keeping the humidity and temperature at an appropriate level . So how exactly would I use my UVB and UVA light for both heat and lighting purposes ? Would I need to make a mesh like top for it ? Or what do you recommend ?
@Toddrickfl1

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hey sorry I somehow missed this. Your best bet would be to cover it somehow but I know this isn't always possible. Your UVB will be separate from your heat source. You'll want to use a few CHE'S or radiant heat panels for heat. This is my redfoot setup. IMG_20201115_083610554.jpgThe House is heated with a couple radiant heat panels set at 84 degrees on a thermostat. I'd recommend the same for yours. Build a large hide box that is heated 24/7. That way your tort always has a spot in the enclosure to warm itself to optimum temperature. I've also got a basking area setup with a CHE and a flat slate rock.IMG_20201115_083617005.jpgThe CHE keeps the area under it about mid 80s. You'll have to adjust the height till you get the desired temperature. You'll probably have a hard time chasing the humidity you need though. It's easier for me because because I have a couple large ponds in the same room. Your best bet is plants plants and more plants. Also invest in one of these sprayersIMG_20201115_083714281.jpgWatering the plants and misting in the enclosure a few times a day will help. Other people will probably give you different advice this is just what's working for me. Gluck, and let us know what you come up with.

vlonethug

Santa Ana , CA
Hey sorry I somehow missed this. Your best bet would be to cover it somehow but I know this isn't always possible. Your UVB will be separate from your heat source. You'll want to use a few CHE'S or radiant heat panels for heat. This is my redfoot setup. View attachment 311081The House is heated with a couple radiant heat panels set at 84 degrees on a thermostat. I'd recommend the same for yours. Build a large hide box that is heated 24/7. That way your tort always has a spot in the enclosure to warm itself to optimum temperature. I've also got a basking area setup with a CHE and a flat slate rock.View attachment 311082The CHE keeps the area under it about mid 80s. You'll have to adjust the height till you get the desired temperature. You'll probably have a hard time chasing the humidity you need though. It's easier for me because because I have a couple large ponds in the same room. Your best bet is plants plants and more plants. Also invest in one of these sprayersView attachment 311083Watering the plants and misting in the enclosure a few times a day will help. Other people will probably give you different advice this is just what's working for me. Gluck, and let us know what you come up with.
This is great advice , thank you . The only problem is I’m not sure exactly what you mean by radiant heat panels . I do know what a ceramic heat emitter is so I’m willing to get one of those I just don’t know if it’s enough to keep his hide at 80 degrees even at night . Right now my redfoot is in a glass enclosure that reaches about 60 degrees at night . I’m for sure going to get a digital thermometer from homedepot to reach these desired temperatures . I would just like to know how the ceramic heat emitter should be used . Or if you can recommend a proper radiant heat panel I would really appreciate that also the lights you have up seem pretty close. Is this the most efficient way to set up his uvb and heat lamp? The heat lamp is a 160 watts while the uvb bulb is also 160 . According to the watts , should I have my Lamps this close as well? And how would I make sure the basking area reaches 80 . Also would the CHE or heat panel keep his hide warm at night? Idk exactly how these would be used so I could use some advice on that . Thank you @Toddrickfl1
I will have a new setup today so I will post pictures in order to receive the best advice .

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This is great advice , thank you . The only problem is I’m not sure exactly what you mean by radiant heat panels . I do know what a ceramic heat emitter is so I’m willing to get one of those I just don’t know if it’s enough to keep his hide at 80 degrees even at night . Right now my redfoot is in a glass enclosure that reaches about 60 degrees at night . I’m for sure going to get a digital thermometer from homedepot to reach these desired temperatures . I would just like to know how the ceramic heat emitter should be used . Or if you can recommend a proper radiant heat panel I would really appreciate that also the lights you have up seem pretty close. Is this the most efficient way to set up his uvb and heat lamp? The heat lamp is a 160 watts while the uvb bulb is also 160 . According to the watts , should I have my Lamps this close as well? And how would I make sure the basking area reaches 80 . Also would the CHE or heat panel keep his hide warm at night? Idk exactly how these would be used so I could use some advice on that . Thank you @Toddrickfl1
I will have a new setup today so I will post pictures in order to receive the best advice .
This is a radiant heat panel, It will screw to the top of the hide box like this (Different enclosure same concept) IMG_20201115_123057258.jpgIMG_20201115_123109797.jpg
I get mine from @Kapidolo Farms . Whether your using a CHE or a radiant heat panel inside the hide you'll want to plug it into a thermostat like thisIMG_20201115_123046323.jpgThe panel will plug into the thermostat, and the thermostat will plug into the wall. The thermostat also has a temperature probe that you'll want to position in the hide. You set the thermostat to the desired temperature and it will turn the panel off when it gets warm enough and turn it on when it gets too cool. I set my thermostats at 85 degrees. You won't need a thermostat for the other hotspot/basking area. You'll just have to put a thermometer under it and raise or lower it till you find the desired temperature. I just measured and my CHE is about 20" above the substrate. That's with a 150 watt CHE though. Different wattages will very.

vlonethug

Santa Ana , CA
This is a radiant heat panel, It will screw to the top of the hide box like this (Different enclosure same concept) View attachment 311107View attachment 311108
I get mine from @Kapidolo Farms . Whether your using a CHE or a radiant heat panel inside the hide you'll want to plug it into a thermostat like thisView attachment 311109The panel will plug into the thermostat, and the thermostat will plug into the wall. The thermostat also has a temperature probe that you'll want to position in the hide. You set the thermostat to the desired temperature and it will turn the panel off when it gets warm enough and turn it on when it gets too cool. I set my thermostats at 85 degrees. You won't need a thermostat for the other hotspot/basking area. You'll just have to put a thermometer under it and raise or lower it till you find the desired temperature. I just measured and my CHE is about 20" above the substrate. That's with a 150 watt CHE though. Different wattages will very.
yoo , thank you . This is very helpful . I’m considering getting the thermostat and heat panel deal. So far I just have the enclosure and would like to build a hut like your own which will hold the panel . Because his hide at the moment is just a half log.
I hope to have him in a better environment soon . Because this 40 gallon tank doesn’t give him enough space to roam . And I think that kills his appetite since he’s not getting enough exercise . For now I have 75 and 60 watt heat lamps . I plan on using the 75 watt one over his log , with the 60watt one by his food plate . Next to the UVB bulb . Do you think that is an efficient set up for now . Considering i don’t have a hide box inside the enclosure it’s self . As your own.

vlonethug

Santa Ana , CA
@Toddrickfl1
The enclosure is almost done setting up all I need is some more dirt and I’m wondering if this coco fiber from Amazon is suitable for my tortoise .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GSHK6EI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

There are pictures of the enclosure and the heat panel and I’m wondering if it’s ideal now. the thermostat reads 71 while I have it set at 85 , is that fine ?

Attachments

• F74742CD-C23D-4C67-A490-BA0F4EF069DF.jpeg
    F74742CD-C23D-4C67-A490-BA0F4EF069DF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • E501915C-30C4-4AAF-A35A-08447C503A9C.jpeg
    E501915C-30C4-4AAF-A35A-08447C503A9C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 64402FAE-F5A3-4B9F-B4C2-73815EC06382.jpeg
    64402FAE-F5A3-4B9F-B4C2-73815EC06382.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@Toddrickfl1
The enclosure is almost done setting up all I need is some more dirt and I’m wondering if this coco fiber from Amazon is suitable for my tortoise .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GSHK6EI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

There are pictures of the enclosure and the heat panel and I’m wondering if it’s ideal now. the thermostat reads 71 while I have it set at 85 , is that fine ?
No, 71 is still too cool. Your radiant heat panel is not going to be very effective like that it's has to be enclosed more. Your losing all your heat out of the front of it. You need to build a box with a lid and a small hole just big enough for your tortoise to fit thru. You want the smallest amount of ventilation as possible to contain the heat. See my previous post. You could also use a plastic tote with a hole in the side and your radiant heat panel screwed into the lid. Also that coco coir will work but you'd be better off with orchid bark. In california it should be easy to find.