Redfoot Acting Strange

Moon Masked Poet

So most of my family went on vacation this past weekend for the holidays, leaving our redfoot with my father. He had everything he needed, and we were only gone for two days. One and a half, really.
The tortoise seemed fine last night when we got home, but today when we let him out to walk around he started acting weird.
He won't pull his head out of his shell, and he keeps lurching forward like a frog trying to jump. His legs are out, and it doesn't look like he's hurt there, but I can't get his head out. He did eat some arugula leaves though, so I don't think it was something he ate.

I can't seem to find any explanation for this kind of behavior. I tried to look around on the internet for something, but everywhere I look people just say that something must've scared him. That should make sense, but why would he keep moving around if he was scared? Wouldn't it make sense to tuck his legs into his shell too?

I don't know, but I'm starting to get worried. He keeps running into walls repeatedly and, while his head isn't out, I'm sure that's not good for him.

As a summary: He's eating, doesn't appear to be injured, but keeps lurching forward with his head tucked in.
Has anyone heard of anything like this?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Can we get a photo? I've heard of tortoises getting their head stuck in due to an overgrown beak.

Are you saying he ate with his head in his shell? Or that he CAN take his head out, but that he just isn't?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure how he is eating if he's not bringing his head out.
Give a warm soak and see what happens. Maybe even try turning him on his back, holding him head down or carefully push at his back feet and see if his head comes out

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Maybe we could also get a picture of your enclosure as well?
Did you dad mention if he was doing it while you were gone?

Moon Masked Poet

Thanks for the replies

My dad said that he was doing just fine while we were gone, although I'm not sure if he would notice anyway.

He sticks his head out just far enough to snag food that is directly in front of his shell- touching it even. So I do think he can move, he just won't.

I've been trying to get some pics and a small video of his movements- I'll upload stuff in a sec

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you're seeing is aggressive behaviour in retaliation to something that has happened to him while you were gone. I hate to point fingers or accuse your father of teasing the tortoise, but that's exactly the reaction I would expect from a tortoise that has been poked and prodded. He's lunging forward, trying to ram you.

Just be calm and gentle with the tortoise. Give him a warm soak daily for about 15 minutes and, whatever you do, DO NOT allow the tortoise to be out on the floor. Too much bad stuff happens to tortoises that are on the floor.

Moon Masked Poet

Thanks again everyone!

He's basking right now, so I'm not going to bother him at the moment. He seems a bit calmer, hopefully he'll be acting normal later. I'll soak him some more when he starts moving.