Redcata?

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
Bad me 52 chromosomes 26 pair. Here’s a turtle tortoise article with turtle with 50. And now I’m done looking.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes! Just because we can, should we really do it? Te
It's heartbreaking to see mixes like this. The diet problem is bad enough, but soon you won't be able to find a full blooded, pure leopard or sulcata.

Man fools with a lot of stuff that he really needs to leave alone. ??
rri idea.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
The only hybrid I actually like is the sulcata leopard hybrid. If given the chance I would personally own one. But with a species mix like you mentioned above it just seems like they are so vastly different I don’t see how they could ever get proper care when mixed. Size, temp, humidity, diet, growth rate, everything is so different in those species so where would you even start to find the right care?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
The only hybrid I actually like is the sulcata leopard hybrid. If given the chance I would personally own one. But with a species mix like you mentioned above it just seems like they are so vastly different I don’t see how they could ever get proper care when mixed. Size, temp, humidity, diet, growth rate, everything is so different in those species so where would you even start to find the right care?
Nonsense. No Tortoises should be Mixed.

Relic

Here
My guess is economics - not biology - will drive this hybridization train in tortoises, just like it has in snakes, lizards, dogs, etc. As long as someone with deep pockets and a strong desire to own the rare and unusual is around, this mix-breeding will continue. Just look at the current prices of albino redfoots. As they become more common, the prices will erode; just look at the current prices of albino redear sliders. As a young boy, RES sold for 50 cents at the local pet store, and I had several while growing up. And they all eventually died from trying to survive in fetid water, being fed "dried flies," and being housed in the ubiquitous plastic turtle bowl with fake palm tree. Husbandry information was non-existent for 6 year olds.

I suppose it may be many years and several generations before the long-term health and fertility, of this particular hybrid is discovered. Who knows, perhaps the newly combined genetic code will result in a stronger animal? I kinda like the red on the sulcatta-type front leg scales. And for the record, I'm not a leg man...

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
My guess is economics - not biology - will drive this hybridization train in tortoises, just like it has in snakes, lizards, dogs, etc. As long as someone with deep pockets and a strong desire to own the rare and unusual is around, this mix-breeding will continue. Just look at the current prices of albino redfoots. As they become more common, the prices will erode; just look at the current prices of albino redear sliders. As a young boy, RES sold for 50 cents at the local pet store, and I had several while growing up. And they all eventually died from trying to survive in fetid water, being fed "dried flies," and being housed in the ubiquitous plastic turtle bowl with fake palm tree. Husbandry information was non-existent for 6 year olds.

I suppose it may be many years and several generations before the long-term health and fertility, of this particular hybrid is discovered. Who knows, perhaps the newly combined genetic code will result in a stronger animal? I kinda like the red on the sulcatta-type front leg scales. And for the record, I'm not a leg man...
At some point it will be inevitable in my opinion. It does have an aesthetic look, but there’s side effects right? For example Albinos have bad eyesight. I really doubt it will result in a better animal most of the time it doesn’t.

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
I have heard some stories of Leopard tortoise and Sulcata crossing each other in the wild and try mating, not sure if it’s true or not.