Red

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Most of you know that I got a Redfoot tortoise to foster. My experience mostly is desert or savanna type tortoises. I was excited to have this little tortoise, it is a good example of the species, I think.
The tortoise came with a name of Jupiter, I have changed it to simply Red
100_7711.JPG
So I fix a super great outside pen for him. Red escaped that pen 4 times in 3 hours. So I decided he would stay in a tort table in my tort shed with regular meals and soaking, then when he's mellowed out I'll start putting him outside. It's low 60's with rain now and next weekend expected to be 90's...he'll need to go out then.
So here's the outside pen.
100_7694.JPG
to the tort table he went, I went in the house and he climbed out and fell 3 feet down to the plywood floor. Unfortunately he also landed in a pen belonging to a 20 yr old male tortoise. So he was on his back with AB sitting completely on him when I found them. So I picked him up, his eye were closed and he was sorta limp took him in and soaked. While he was soaking I fix the table
to this
100_7755.JPG
I put him in again and I went inside again. Went to check on him later and this is him...
100_7732.JPG
So I know he needs shade so this is him now and he's eating like crazy and basking in the shade...lol
Don't laugh, it works..and Red is relaxing more...
100_7756.JPG

Attachments

• 100_7752.JPG
    100_7752.JPG
    721.1 KB · Views: 19

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most of you know that I got a Redfoot tortoise to foster. My experience mostly is desert or savanna type tortoises. I was excited to have this little tortoise, it is a good example of the species, I think.
The tortoise came with a name of Jupiter, I have changed it to simply Red
View attachment 325789
So I fix a super great outside pen for him. Red escaped that pen 4 times in 3 hours. So I decided he would stay in a tort table in my tort shed with regular meals and soaking, then when he's mellowed out I'll start putting him outside. It's low 60's with rain now and next weekend expected to be 90's...he'll need to go out then.
So here's the outside pen.
View attachment 325790
to the tort table he went, I went in the house and he climbed out and fell 3 feet down to the plywood floor. Unfortunately he also landed in a pen belonging to a 20 yr old male tortoise. So he was on his back with AB sitting completely on him when I found them. So I picked him up, his eye were closed and he was sorta limp took him in and soaked. While he was soaking I fix the table
to this
View attachment 325792
I put him in again and I went inside again. Went to check on him later and this is him...
View attachment 325793
So I know he needs shade so this is him now and he's eating like crazy and basking in the shade...lol
Don't laugh, it works..and Red is relaxing more...
View attachment 325799
I love that plastic lattice.
I've used it to create the walls of my primary Redfoot pen as well as for the walls of my patio fish pond area

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Nice pics ! Red is a good name.

Jan A

Boulder, CO

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
No! It weirds me out to feed raw fish and rotten fruit to a tortoise. And it is necessary to my very delicate psyche that all my animals are happy here. So he does not yet realize he must be happy and stop trying to break out...or else
What u feed em the mcd fillet of fish with their apple slices? Lol

CherryLover

Allen, TX
And I think RED is cornly cute...and a perfect name for him.
View attachment 325802
and his butt and feet look like they have never been dirty. I don't think he's been outside much...but I didn't ask the keeper
View attachment 325803

Said it before, but will say again. What an awesome looking tort!! If Red goes missing again, just call me and I'll bring him back ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Is this the little tort that I saw and tagged for you??? So I hooked you up with a handsome trouble maker??

HECK YEAH!!! I’m awesome!
Yeah, shame on you! You know I'm weak in those situations. I cannot say no to a tortoise

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Yeah, shame on you! You know I'm weak in those situations. I cannot say no to a tortoise
No shame in my game ?

little Red has made a great turn in life .. and what woman doesn’t need a handsome devil in hers??
seriously, he really is gorgeous! I have wanted a Redfoot and come really close to taking one from a pet store but in the end, I decided to wait. I’ll know when the next one comes along that really needs me...

3 years ago I made a 4hour drive to Houston for a 2 yr old Sulcata that a lady couldn’t keep.. we discussed it for a couple months before the decision was made but in the end, it was a great decision. She was a wonderful lady and I love this Sulcata dearly. It’s Toretto, who’s now 5 and has more personality than the two I’ve raised out together. He’s special ?