Red marijuana grow light.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Someone I know is using a red marijuana grow light in the enclosure for a leopard tortoise.
I don't want to give advice until I know the good or the bad with this type of light.
Can it damage the torts eyes?
Thanks for any feedback.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
Someone I know is using a red marijuana grow light in the enclosure for a leopard tortoise.
I don't want to give advice until I know the good or the bad with this type of light.
Thanks for any feedback.
One of those pinkish LED grow light strips, or something else?

I decided to experiment a small strip of LED's in one area of my RF's enclosure and he seems to prefer it to the brighter UV light end. (but there was also better cover to hang out under since I added a low corner shelf with spider plants at the same time so basically he got a new den out of it)

No eye issues, and the pinkish cast isn't enough to make light colored objects look like a red berry or flower so he hasn't tried to eat anything he shouldn't.

I'm not using a high powered system, it's a single 12" strip about 3' off the floor that plugs into a USB outlet.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would not use that as the principle light for a tortoise. They need full spectrum lighting. Red only will mess with their daily and annual rhythms. With better color vision than humans, using an off-color lighting like that would be like you being color blind. With color such and important part of plant identification for tortoises, it would be a real detriment to their overall well-being.

I don't even like them for plants. Red grow lights became more popular as they are the cheapest LEDs to produce. Red does contribute to photosynthesis and encourages new plants to stretch and grow taller. But without adding the shorter wavelengths you won't get the best plant growth once the plant is started. Blue wavelengths encourage a plant to grow much stronger and bigger leafs.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Damage to the eyes themselves? I don't know. But eyes are externalized brain parts; we should be careful with them. Light does impact day-night cycles.

I do know that I don't like sitting near my blue grow lamps. The glare is unnatural, even painful. I keep my Grow-lamp-dependent plants in their own section away from all living things that have eyes. lol

A very easy-to-read general discussion about light and its impact on day-night cycles and mental well-being in our species:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thanks for any feedback.
he maybe using a red light to grow marijuana...but that is totally wrong kind of light...Hey Ray you tell him that's why his weed is crappy...lol