Red Footed Tortoise Rescue?

AprilH

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I visited a distant relative this past weekend and when I saw how they had their red footed tortoise housed...well, I wan't leaving with out it (I thin it's a she). I didn't actually know what kind of tortoise she was until lots of internet research and then I came upon this forum!

What I know is that she has been housed in a 10 gallon aquarium for the past 3 years and lived with someone else before that for 2 years so they "said" she is 5. She has been attacked by their dog on numerous occasions and has some damage to her shell (see pics).

I had a neighbor help me build an enclosure for her on Monday to get her out of that acquarium. I think she really needs to go to someone who can properly care for her and that lives in a more humid environment. I travel for work two weeks out of each month so keeping her doesn't seem like a good idea. I have hired a pet sitter for the next business trip I am taking so she will have the care that she needs.

I started her on fresh veggies, fruit and the Mazuri tortoise diet right away. She's eating so much, it's like she hasn't eaten in days! Her shell is approximately 6" x 5.5".

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to transport her just about anywhere as needed and also cover any veterinarian costs if she needs to be seen for her shell damage.

Attachments

• IMG_7358.jpg
    IMG_7358.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7362.jpg
    IMG_7362.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7361.jpg
    IMG_7361.jpg
    705.2 KB · Views: 29

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Awesome job getting that Tortoise out of that situation! I doubt that Tortoise is 5yrs old, looks much younger. Good luck trying to finding a good home for it. I would consider but I'm pretty pretty far away.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Too bad Utah is so far away.
I'd also offer it a home.
Luckily Redfoot are very popular here and everywhere for several reasons.
So finding a new home should be simple.
Charge some sort of re homing fee to weed out "trolls" from contacting you looking for a free animal.

AprilH

Utah
Thanks @ZEROPILOT and @Toddrickfl1 for the advice. I'll definitely charge a rehoming fee. Do you recommend I post her up for adoption on other websites and if so, which ones?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just ask questions to try to gauge any prospective new keepers tortoise knowledge and ask to see photos of how/where it'll be kept.
For example, I never let a tortoise go to anyone that doesn't have a yard to dedicate to tortoise keeping.
A good new keeper can be found anywhere. But I reccomend looking here first.