Red footed tortoise is Looking for a good home in Florida!!!

Karen2str

Location (City and/or State)
Bradenton, Florida
FREE. We are looking for a home for our 9 yr old male, red footed tortoise in Florida.
We are in our 70's and it was originally bought for our grandson who outgrew him. We are getting too old to properly care for him as he`s quite heavy.
We live near Bradenton but wouldn't mind driving him , within reason, to his new home.
He always seems to be looking for love!!!

Karen2str

Bradenton, Florida
Be very careful of new members who just joined to look for free tortoises. They usually only want them so they can sell them and make money.
I sure will. Thank you for answering so qui kly!!
I keep a herd of Redfoot in Surise, south Broward county.
Pretty far away.
Try to find a home closer/easier for you.
And keep me as an option.
Best of luck.
Ed

MikeT307

Florida
Hello Karen!
I am not a new member but have yet to get a tortoise. I was planning on a redfoot due to zeropilot and others’ success with caring for redfoots outdoors in South Florida. I live a few hours south of you near Fort Myers. If you haven’t already found a permanent home, I’ll send you a question or two directly about his temperament.

Mike

Rex’sHuman

Denver
FREE. We are looking for a home for our 9 yr old male, red footed tortoise in Florida.
We are in our 70's and it was originally bought for our grandson who outgrew him. We are getting too old to properly care for him as he`s quite heavy.
We live near Bradenton but wouldn't mind driving him , within reason, to his new home.
He always seems to be looking for love!!!
Hi Karen,
I keep a herd of Redfoot in Surise, south Broward county.
Pretty far away.
Try to find a home closer/easier for you.
And keep me as an option.
Best of luck.
Ed
Hi Ed, I am brand new to the forum and have an adult male red footed that I am hoping to re-home for a better climate and friends. I was wondering if you could give me some advice. He spends days in our backyard in the summer, but I have never seen him eat grass. I always still feed him in his pen. Do you think he would figure this out if he found something like your herd?

Attachments

• 5EE7B533-D57F-42BA-B71C-6BB538827CD5.jpeg
    5EE7B533-D57F-42BA-B71C-6BB538827CD5.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 2

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot
Hi Karen,

Hi Ed, I am brand new to the forum and have an adult male red footed that I am hoping to re-home for a better climate and friends. I was wondering if you could give me some advice. He spends days in our backyard in the summer, but I have never seen him eat grass. I always still feed him in his pen. Do you think he would figure this out if he found something like your herd?
It's been my experience that Redfoot only eat grass if they are nearly starving. Although they may or may not select a weed or two to try out as they walk around. They aren't a grass or hay eating species. They're much more of a fruit and succulents type eater.
Males are especially difficult to establish into a group with other males because any other male would've already established at least part of its enclosure as his territory.
It'd be best if the large group was placed into a newly designed large enclosure that is not familiar to any of them. With relocated plants and hiding spots.