Red Footed Tortoise finally pooped

Kevinrrussell

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello, everybody has been very helpful. Stan.lee just pooped big time. I just adopted from a family, two weeks. I had for two weeks never on a soak ..other day she was ea ting banana and zoo med forest mix...poop...I am adding a fourth cermac heater...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Usually soaking in a large area like a tub where they can move around a lot will get things moving. I put enough water to cover their head when it's tucked in. This makes them have to pop their head out, which will usually get them moving.

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
Usually soaking in a large area like a tub where they can move around a lot will get things moving. I put enough water to cover their head when it's tucked in. This makes them have to pop their head out, which will usually get them moving.
Awesome..Thank you

SweetShellysmom55

5 Year Member
Michigan
I know your post was months ago, but I just want to add the "go-to" solution I discovered when Shelly was constipated. I was on my way to the vet because it had been way to long since Shelly went to the bathroom. Wow did she go. Every time I take her with me in the car, she GOES. It's not a solution I would recommend if there's any chance that your tortoise swallowed something foreign, but it's a fool-proof solution for MY little guy. (Shelly's sex was iffy for the 1st few years, but apparently little "Sheldon" is a MALE.) I'll post a pic soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know your post was months ago, but I just want to add the "go-to" solution I discovered when Shelly was constipated. I was on my way to the vet because it had been way to long since Shelly went to the bathroom. Wow did she go. Every time I take her with me in the car, she GOES. It's not a solution I would recommend if there's any chance that your tortoise swallowed something foreign, but it's a fool-proof solution for MY little guy. (Shelly's sex was iffy for the 1st few years, but apparently little "Sheldon" is a MALE.) I'll post a pic soon.
LOL, yes, that is another way to help it along. Car rides help with not only pooping, but also if one thinks their female is having a hard time laying eggs/egg bound. When I took a female in the car once, she laid eggs.

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
I just reread your comments. I get nervous seeing her bobbing head out. So deep water up to her neck forces her to poop. I use warm water and switch out water every ten mins no poop in water.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just reread your comments. I get nervous seeing her bobbing head out. So deep water up to her neck forces her to poop. I use warm water and switch out water every ten mins no poop in water.
Not up to her neck when her neck is up out of her shell. I will fill so the water is just past the opening of where her head is. This forces her to poke her head out and not stay clenched. This usually then will get them moving.

SweetShellysmom55

5 Year Member
Michigan
When Sheldon has gone too long with pooping, I take him for a car ride. Pad your car seat well. It’s worked every time for Sheldon

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When Sheldon has gone too long with pooping, I take him for a car ride. Pad your car seat well. It’s worked every time for Sheldon
Yes, most of us have done the car ride. Mine wasn't for pooping, it worked to get my female to start laying.
Usually not needed, as the soaks with movement, which really should be the normal way to soak, works.