Red footed baby food

captain

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
hi everyone, again I'm new here just had some more questions, i'm seriously on this site all day now!! great tips and best help you can find anywhere online...

Just had some questions about what I should be feeding my 6 month old baby red foot, i bought a variety of food from the forest pellet mix(can't remember its actual name) it has big chunks of a mixture and u moisten it, i have two canned fruits as well.

So how often should I be feeding him, right now I have been twice a day...

How much should I be feeding him and what kind of mixture should i make for him a bit of everything??

also curious the human food they can eat, fruits like raspberries?? any type of veggie, lettuce or green?? :tort::p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you checked out our very own Tortoise Library ? It was put together by one of our moderators and he used to keep redfooted tortoises. It is very good reading. Here's what he says about RF diet:

Diet
Mostly greens and plant matter, some vegetables and fruits, small amounts of protein. Prepared tortoise chows may be used instead or along with fresh foods. (Diet Overview, Omnivorous Diet)
Plant materials can be most lettuces, greens, flowers, mushrooms, hays, grasses, leaves or flowers of edible plants such as hibiscus, and leaves of fruit trees such as mulberry. Avoid using only a few items over and over, especially things like spinach, cabbage, and Iceberg lettuces.
Vegetables and fruits can include shredded carrot, squash, pumpkin, bell pepper, apples, kiwifruit, etc. Some very good options are figs and papaya. Keep bananas, grapes, and citrus to a minimum. This should only be about 20% of the diet or so.
Meats should be about 10% or less of the diet. Live bugs and worms, snails and slugs, lightly cooked eggs, chicken, 'oily fish' (salmon, mackerel, etc.), dog or cat food and so on.
Feed daily. Remove food when it goes bad. One way to help prevent overfeeding is to limit the higher calorie foods (such as fruits and meats) to an amount smaller than the tortoise's head.

crabby-J

Michigan
What other types of herbs are OK for Red Foot??
I'm getting a baby soon and I feed my hermit crabs many types of herbs and I always have the following:
Calendula, rose, dandelion leaf and root, alfalfa leaf, jasmine, chamomile, red clover leaf, shiitake mushrooms, hibiscus, bilberry leaf, blackberry leaf, oak bark and leaves, timothy hay, chia seeds and sprouts, wheat grass sprouts and seeds, raspberry leaves, strawberry leaves, bee pollen, basil, etc

Of the following what is safe to feed??? Thanks!!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Check Tortoise Library and Turtletary.com Redfoot Care sheet.
You will get tons of information.