Red Foot w RI, not eating

Duran

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430436370.140968.jpg

Conchita is doing well. She loves being outside, earthworms, and warm soaks. Thanks for all the help guys!

Do messages on tortoise forum get automatically deleted after a period of time? All of mine are gone including one from last week I didn't have a chance to respond to yet

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
I have not noticed anything getting deleted. When you make a reply make sure you see it in post after you press post reply or it just sits in the box and goes away. Lol. I'm so glad your tortoise is way better.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
IMO and it's been my experience that only dead worms get passed in the poop. What your vet will find or may not find are the eggs in the poo from a healthy and alive parasite colony living inside of him/her.
I think most tortoises have a certain amount of parasites and most will live with them for a very long time.
Did it poop in water? right now with the rains, I've encountered small earthworms in all of my watering bowls and pools.
Just yesterday, one of my female RF took a poo in her pool, and I got a shock when I saw worms in it...Then discovered that they were small earthworms that had drowned in the pool.

Duran

Atlanta
IMO and it's been my experience that only dead worms get passed in the poop. What your vet will find or may not find are the eggs in the poo from a healthy and alive parasite colony living inside of him/her.
I think most tortoises have a certain amount of parasites and most will live with them for a very long time.
Did it poop in water? right now with the rains, I've encountered small earthworms in all of my watering bowls and pools.
Just yesterday, one of my female RF took a poo in her pool, and I got a shock when I saw worms in it...Then discovered that they were small earthworms that had drowned in the pool.

She pooped in water, I could have sworn I saw something move but I've been poking around every day since then and haven't seen anything. Maybe the poop is going to my head. When the vet did her fecal (a little over month ago) he didn't find anything. I'll keep an eye on her nonetheless, she's been through a lot for such a young baby tort girl.

Thanks!

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Good for you for getting her through such a tough situation (for the 3 of you!)
I did want to suggest something. I had a redfoot that had the beginning stages of a fungal infection due to moist substrate. What your girl has looks identical.
I wouldn't go poking and messing with her just yet. Let her have some happy tortoise time for now.

What worked for my RF:

1. I scraped the fungal flaky shell away with an end of a credit card.
2. Cleaned it up with an antibacterial dish soap (fragrance free).
3. With a Qtip, I put on a 50% benadine 50% water solution. Let that dry.
4. The last step I used another Qtip and smeared on an antifungal cream that I bought at the pharmacy. (A cream used for athletes foot).
I did this everyday for 7 days.

BOOM. GONE:)