Red foot tortoise care! Help

Tortoiseboy101

Hello, I got a red foot tortoise yesterday and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right but if u can tell me any extras please do.

I have him in a 20 gallon tank because he is only like 4 inches. I fed him romain lettuce yesterday and this morning. I'm going to give it to him every morning. And like 20 minutes ago I gave him half of a banana. Im going to give him fruit every other day. Very rarely I will give him bananas. Mostly strawberries and blueberries. I have his humidity at about 70-80%. To keep the humidity high I take a water bottle and pour warm water in his cage. For substrate I'm using Cyprus mulch. The basking spot is 90 degrees. I have a decent sized tin foil water bowl. Tho I haven't seen him soak in it yet. When I got him I did let him sit in warm water for about 10 minutes before being put in the cage. So I hope I'm doing everything right Cus I want him to be healthy. I did realize that his eyes are a little watery but it's clear fluid so I think he's okay. He Is only a year old. He ate most of the banana but not all. Should I leave it in his cage. Or should I remove it. Also I did pick him up a couple of time but I now know to wait about a week. Thank you PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME IF IM DOING SOMETHING WRONG.

nkkritters

I would vary his diet, dark greens, like dandelion, or a mixture of spring mix. I get organic or or pick them wild. I use a spray bottle to keep humidity up in my enclosure. I would get a solid water dish, like the bottom saucer of a plant pot, or a glass heavy pie plate, or ceramic one. They need fresh water to drink, and also will defecate in their water. It is advised to give Red foots some protein in their diets, as in the wild they eat carrion on the forest floor. I give mine a small amount of all natural turkey or chicken cat food, canned, with vitamins and calcium sprinkled in. I also add a meal worm or two periodically. Just make sure you do not give too much protein. I also leave a cuttlebone in his enclosure to get additional calcium. Remove the hard casing in back. You can get them in the bird department of a pet store. Good luck with your little friend.

immayo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Unfortunately a 20 gal is way too small for a yearling redfoot. It's alright to temporarily keep small hatchlings but at 4 inches your tort needs more room.

I also would recommend darker greens like spring mix, dandelion greens, kale, turnip greens, clover. Romaine isn't super bad for them like iceberg but you really don't want them to get used to only eating that and denying healthier options.

Other things to feed are: Berries, melons, kiwi, apples, star fruit, cactus fruit, hibiscus flowers, passion flowers, mushrooms, boiled chicken, green beans, corn, broccoli, zucchini, squash, cactus pads, and Mazuri tortoise diet.