Red foot tortoise advise please

Kathynfreddie

Location (City and/or State)
Maidstone
I have a 10 year old red foot tortoise which we think is a girl. In the summer when its warm she spends her days roaming the flower beds in garden. But in winter she is indoors. Her cage has an open front, a heat lamp in 1 area, a shelter and a UV bulb. She is able to come and go as she pleases. But she is always desperate to get outside. If the door is open she will make a run for it even if it is dark or freezing cold. She seems lately to be walking round and round the house as if she is lonely or looking for something, fresh air maybe. Does she need anything else in her cage? Could she be lacking moisture? She hasn't eaten much in the last couple of days. I'm wondering if she is sickening for something. Any ideas would be appreciated

xMario

Germany
I have a 10 year old red foot tortoise which we think is a girl. In the summer when its warm she spends her days roaming the flower beds in garden. But in winter she is indoors. Her cage has an open front, a heat lamp in 1 area, a shelter and a UV bulb. She is able to come and go as she pleases. But she is always desperate to get outside. If the door is open she will make a run for it even if it is dark or freezing cold. She seems lately to be walking round and round the house as if she is lonely or looking for something, fresh air maybe. Does she need anything else in her cage? Could she be lacking moisture? She hasn't eaten much in the last couple of days. I'm wondering if she is sickening for something. Any ideas would be appreciated

Can u Post a picture of ur indoor enclosure?
It sounded like u let ur tortoise roam ur house correct me if that's wrong but if u do u need to stop with that immediately. The floor is too cold and it's way to dangerous if she ingests something. That she is not eating is probably cause she is too cold what are the temperatures ?

Enclosure overall ?
Basking spot ?
Nighttime?

If ur tortoise knows there is an outside world they try to get back at it this is true but if u make the indoor situation perfect this will settle down in no time

Again pls send photos of ur enclosure and ur tortoise so we can give u way better advice:)

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
IMHO, your enclosure should be non-escapable. RF's can be petulant. You have allowed the tort to see the open world and now that's all it wants even if it will inevitably harm itself. RF's should not be allowed to "roam" even outside. An outdoor sun-filled enclosure is great in warmer weather but there needs to be boundaries usually around 10'x6' which is large enough for a backyard. Indoor enclosures should be no smaller than 6'x2'. Indoor enclosures should be kept at an ambient 85-90F day and 70-75F night with over 80% humidity. No need for any "basking spot". Inside the tort should be restricted to an area - big enough for comfort but controlled for their safety. Also, without high humidity your RF will pyramid or get sick (respiratory infections) - allowing free reign in the house is really bad for it. It's probably looking for a humid hiding spot. You have to think about their natural environment - humid jungles spending the majority of their time hiding, not "looking for fresh air" or basking spots - it's really humid stagnant air they crave. For the sake of your tort please re-evaluate your husbandry techniques.

This forum has great starting caresheets https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/

Last edited: