Red foot tort and beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
There is a red foot tort available and would like opinions on this breed. I am a first time tort owner, and would only be looking to have a one tort family. I know they live for a very long time so want to make the right decision before bringing one into my home since I know once it is here it will be here FOREVER :)

I know they need a moist environment. I also see lots of info on shell rot when I look at the info on them. Is this a very common problem in this breed? Are they otherwise very hardy? I live in Wisconsin and really love the look of the desert torts - leopards especialy. I have the outside room for the larger breed, so wondering what your opinion would be. Which breed do you feel would be a better fit for my area. I would like to help a tort out and will be looking for one that really just needs a home.

I appreciate your opinions.

TashaR

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hi! I live in Wisconsin too! I think some people winter their turtles either in their garages or by adapting sheds outside in order to keep their larger tortoises warm over the winter.

I'm a newbie tortoise owner myself, but I live in an apartment so I choose to start with a Marginated tortoise. If you have the space and the time, I don't see why you couldn't own a leopard tortoise. I'm sure someone here with more experience than I will be able to help you out more than I can!

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
TashaR said:
Hi! I live in Wisconsin too! I think some people winter their turtles either in their garages or by adapting sheds outside in order to keep their larger tortoises warm over the winter.

I'm a newbie tortoise owner myself, but I live in an apartment so I choose to start with a Marginated tortoise. If you have the space and the time, I don't see why you couldn't own a leopard tortoise. I'm sure someone here with more experience than I will be able to help you out more than I can!

Where do you live? I live near Green Bay/ Appleton area

TashaR

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oh funny, I'm in Waterford, which is about a half hour south of Milwaukee. But my grandma lives in Shawano!!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
This is a personal point, but I would not own a tortoise larger than a Red-foot in the northern US. There is a set of standards in Europe that I think make a lot of sense- the indoor habitat should be 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths for one tortoise. For a 12" Red-foot, that is 8'x4', which I can manage. For an 18" Leopard, that - would be a whooping 12'x6'- too big for me to manage indoors for as long as our winters last (I'm in Omaha NE). At 30", it makes a Sulcata home 20'x10'! Yeeps!

You can find a list of tortoise species and average adult sizes here: https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/general-tortoise-information/tortoise-species

If you like the desert/grassland species, you may want to consider a Russian, Greek, or Hermanns as a starter. Leopards are gorgeous, and Sulcatas are great, but their sizes often complicate things for many people.

Now, as far as Red-foots go- I love this species. I've had a lot of others (not Leopards or Sulcata), but this is my personal favorite. You can find care info at https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/red-foots/red-foot-care

They don't really live forever- 30 years is pretty common in captivity, but that is long enough! Just do your homework and ask questions and you'll have a great time!

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Madkins007 said:
This is a personal point, but I would not own a tortoise larger than a Red-foot in the northern US. There is a set of standards in Europe that I think make a lot of sense- the indoor habitat should be 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths for one tortoise. For a 12" Red-foot, that is 8'x4', which I can manage. For an 18" Leopard, that - would be a whooping 12'x6'- too big for me to manage indoors for as long as our winters last (I'm in Omaha NE). At 30", it makes a Sulcata home 20'x10'! Yeeps!

You can find a list of tortoise species and average adult sizes here: https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/general-tortoise-information/tortoise-species

If you like the desert/grassland species, you may want to consider a Russian, Greek, or Hermanns as a starter. Leopards are gorgeous, and Sulcatas are great, but their sizes often complicate things for many people.

Now, as far as Red-foots go- I love this species. I've had a lot of others (not Leopards or Sulcata), but this is my personal favorite. You can find care info at https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/red-foots/red-foot-care

They don't really live forever- 30 years is pretty common in captivity, but that is long enough! Just do your homework and ask questions and you'll have a great time!

lol.. thanks for the advice. I know they don't live forever but they would be with me for as long as I will be here, my forever....lol

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I'd largely second what Mark has to say. Those midwest winters are pretty harsh for a tortoise. My PNW winters are even too harsh for most torts without some help.

I keep redfoots as well, and love the species, but they were rescues that I've grown attached to. In all reality I think there are better species for northern climates. (of course I've never kept any of those). The humidity and shell-rot issue really does complicate keeping them. IMO they require large, contained, environmentally controlled enclosures (a specially built room). Our homes are not built to handle the kind of heat and humidity these guys need. Its all doable, but its not as simple as the pet stores are going to lead you on to believe.

Greeks, Marginateds, Russians, etc don't get as large and don't require the high humidity of redfoots, which makes them a much better choice for northern climates to me.

just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.