Red foot size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

July

5 Year Member
I just acquired a craigslist tortoise that is about 5" long--measured the carapace. I have no history on where she came from, but how old do you think she is at that size? I want to do an age appropriate diet and want to keep track of how old she is. She is so cool. We are so loving having her. What a personality. She is everything I expected and more.
Thanks for the help.
Mary

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mary:

Don't know the answer to your question...just wanted to say:

Welcome to the forum!!

(Shell measurements are in a straight line from front to back, not following the curve)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Hi Mary! Welcome to the forum!

It is very hard to tell how old your tortoise might be, because they grow at different rates because of different diets, enclosure size, and other factors. Even siblings from the same clutch can grow at different rates.

July

5 Year Member
I understand that husbandry can contribute to health, therefore contributing to size. Is that what you mean by enclosure size? Even just a rough idea would be a start. At what size are they considered "adult"??
Thanks for the welcome and moving my post to the right spot...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
There are several different regional varieties of RFs that reach different sizes and therefore different breeding sizes. I have 7" male that has started mounting this year and have had others that didn't mature until 10". The adult size range of these torts ranges from 8" to 18" with the average size of about 12". Sexual maturity probably more related to size within the regional variety than age.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am slowly trying to compile a size/age/weight chart for Red-foots, and it looks like 5"/13cm SCL (straight line carapace length) happens around 2.5 to 3.5 years.

(Mine were fed too much and grew faster, so I cannot use my own logs.)

Growth stages vary by the author or researcher, but many people seem to roughly talk about them this way (ages will vary, size is often as or more important):
- Just Hatched, 0-1 month. Needs special cares to protect yolk.
- Hatchling, 1-6 months. Low light, lots of misting, small no-meat meals. Let it hide and sleep a lot with little disturbance.
- Yearling, 6-24 months or so. Add small amounts of meat to the diet, larger housing, more adult-like cares but still 'shy'.
- Juvenile, 2-5 years. Transitioning to sexual maturity. More rapid growth is normal in this phase, needs more space than earlier.
- Pre-adult, 5 to 7 years. Taking on adult physical characteristics, males may fan or act more aggressive, mock matings, noises, etc.
- Adult, 7-? years. Sexually active, laying eggs, etc.
- Senior Adult. Egg production and mating behaviors have significantly slowed, as has overall activity and appetite.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Based on my torts age/size I'd say 5" is in the ball park of 3 years. My 5" is 3 or so years old and my 10" is about 7 or so.

July

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! Now to find out the sex so we can name him/her!!

Status
Not open for further replies.