Red foot, pyramiding?

Vibes

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I was wondering if it is normal? I’ve seen pyramiding and do what I can to prevent it. But her she’ll is getting a little bumpy.5FBEB4C7-5FA5-4E38-BB66-D65820007396.jpeg5FBEB4C7-5FA5-4E38-BB66-D65820007396.jpeg

Vibes

South Florida
oh and good luck fixing it! what are your plans?
I’ve read some articles and have been doing what they recommend, thankfully the pyramiding has stoped escalating but it’s not reducing. I’m starting to guess it might be genetic, but I’m not sure. Do you have any recommendations?

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
I’ve read some articles and have been doing what they recommend, thankfully the pyramiding has stoped escalating but it’s not reducing. I’m starting to guess it might be genetic, but I’m not sure. Do you have any recommendations?
Pyramiding is not genetic. It will not reduce, but the new growth can be healthy, which will help it level out. Soak him extra (multiple times a day) and keep him very very humid. Ive seen threads in which this worked, and the torts ended up looking pretty healthy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Pyramiding is caused by lack of humidity almost entirely.
It's not genetic.
It doesn't go away.
However. It can be stopped. By having an enclosure with at least 75% humidity.
The pyramiding is not very severe.
I'm also in south Florida. So my suggestion would be to make a secure outdoors enclosure.

Vibes

South Florida
It's not genetic.
It doesn't go away.
I'm also in south Florida. So my suggestion would be to make a secure outdoors enclosure.
I did just finished it today

Attachments

• B73D4DF6-ECFA-45DB-ACBF-FFEB3D8DC3BE.jpeg
    B73D4DF6-ECFA-45DB-ACBF-FFEB3D8DC3BE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 875AEBA3-7205-48C3-A987-C42021DF5716.jpeg
    875AEBA3-7205-48C3-A987-C42021DF5716.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23

Vibes

South Florida
It's not genetic.
It doesn't go away.
Check out my posts you can see it

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also live in south Florida.
My Redfoot all live outdoors. All day. Every day. The weather, temperatures and humidity are almost perfect most of the year. (Except Winter when humidity gets below 50%) But I still get some mild pyramiding.
In fact some do and some don't.
Do the best that you can.
Mild external pyramiding does not mean internal health issues.

Vibes

South Florida
I also live in south Florida.
My Redfoot all live outdoors. All day. Every day. The weather, temperatures and humidity are almost perfect most of the year. (Except Winter when humidity gets below 50%) But I still get some mild pyramiding.
In fact some do and some don't.
Do the best that you can.
Mild external pyramiding does not mean internal health issues.
thanks!

jeneliza

burton michigan
My girl has it to, sadly she has had it from when I first got her, she was 2-4 years, now 11-14, I am guessing she's probably 11, I didn't know any better when I got her, she's from a well known pet store, sadly I did ask about her breeding was told, captive breed, found out that isn't even close to true, I have never been able to get them to smooth out, but I also found out to late it wasn't normal as well, she's still very healthy, and very active, etc, I do wish she didn't have them, but it's part of her, now, I just take extra care with her humidity levels,and make sure she has a very well care for encloser, my has a. Bit larger prymiding , but they haven't gotten any larger, I do wish I knew more about her when I brought her, but then again, if I didn't, she may not have had a chance, being she already had good sized prymiding when I got her, all I can do is give her the best care nowIMG_20200331_110140.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200330_093239.jpg
    IMG_20200330_093239.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6