Red foot pyramiding getting worse? What to do?

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Or at least it's not getting better YET... I've been working to improve my husbandy, so any critique and suggestions are welcome.

She's about 4 years old and 8" long over the shell. She's in a 4x4 enclosure with cypress mulch.

I think the main culprit over the last year has been humidity and I struggled to get it above 50% even in a sealed enclosure. But a few months ago I invested in a Mist King and now the humidity stays above 80%.

She has a Megaray bulb for UVB which she basks under frequently. (This is a recent addition... I don't trust being able to supplement D3 without over or under doing it, whereas she can bask under the light whenever she feels she needs it.)

For food, she gets a variety of greens 4-5 times a week (collard, kale, mustard, turnip, spring mix and now weeds from my garden). 2 times a week she gets some veggies (cactus pad, squash, bell pepper, green beans, etc) and fruit (mango, papaya, berries, cactus fruit) and a few soaked mazuri pellets. Once a week she gets a little bit of canned cat or dog food for protein.

With the improved humidity, should I start to see improvement in her shell as she grows? (I know it doesn't go away, but becomes less noticeable.) Is there anything else I can fix? Should I cut out the mazuri? More food? Less?

(I am looking into building her a larger enclosure but I don't currently have the resources.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You probably won't ever see a difference. The pyramiding never goes away, it just 'looks' smoother as the new growth starts coming in flatter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, from what I'm reading in your post, you're doing a good job on the habitat and humidity.