Red foot poo

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sorry about the topic, but on another thread I found that other tortoise species don't have particularly foul smelling poo. Mine do. They always have. Is it because of the extra bacterial gut load? They are omnivores? Or do my torts just stink? Id always though poo was poo. Thanks.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
My reds don't stink that bad at all. Most of the time they poo during there soak and I spot clean as needed. My giant sulcata is a different story. I've got to clean his pen every night or it smells like a zoo back there.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
There's always some nights when one of my guys decides to dump a good stinky one. It's awesome. I can't ever find the pile when it's dark. I just have to live with the smell for about an hour and either I get used to it or the stench kinda gets milder over time. It's not a frequent thing, but often enough for me to recall it :p

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
There's always some nights when one of my guys decides to dump a good stinky one. It's awesome. I can't ever find the pile when it's dark. I just have to live with the smell for about an hour and either I get used to it or the stench kinda gets milder over time. It's not a frequent thing, but often enough for me to recall it :p

LOL, why is it awesome?! :D

I noticed when I first got reds their poop was and still is stinkier, I'm pretty sure it's the fruit and meat because my sully's and lep's poops don't smell nearly as bad. :p

Twiggz

5 Year Member
N. Ca
Odd, I haven't noticed a smell at all. Maybe because my reds are still young just around two years old? Mine seem to go when they are out side these days. That might be part of the reason I haven't noticed it.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
LOL, why is it awesome?! :D

I noticed when I first got reds their poop was and still is stinkier, I'm pretty sure it's the fruit and meat because my sully's and lep's poops don't smell nearly as bad. :p

Text never conveys sarcasm. When I said awesome, I really meant super duper terrible. I mean, it's not like I can go searching with a flashlight and get rid of the culprit; needle in a haystack.

I'm not quite sure if it's the fruits and meats since I don't really feed those regularly. I guess I just need to write down the times I feed that and see if it coincides with the stinky dumpages. Man, only crazy tortoise owners do something like that. "Awesome" :p

Flipper

MO, USA
I'm a nurse! This thread is awesome! :D I love getting descriptive about poo! :p Lol!

I don't have a fed foot so can't compare, but nobody can compare to my boston terriers toots :rolleyes:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a theory about the organisms/bacteria in the gut of a red foot that would aid in breaking down and dealing with things like meat. That maybe THAT was the difference?