Red Foot food

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
What is better grazing or feeding grocery food for reds I was wondering for the future also if grazing should I add extra food like mazuri or something

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Grazing is always best.
Supplementing with (adding to the diet) grocery greens can be ok and Mazuri can also be a part of the varied diet.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Just a reminder ….with natural grazing areas (which is very beneficial) be sure you/someone else have not sprayed any insecticides/fertilizers in or around your “grazing area”. This also goes for the neighbors on all sides and any run-off that may occur from their yards as well. :rolleyes:
“ Happy Tort~N”
JD~:)

Marci_redfoot

Kansas City
I feed my redfoot organic spring mix in the winter. She doesn't love it, but she still eats well. I also take Marci to a dog park in the summer a few times a month. The city doesn't spray the area (or weed much) so she has a great time. She's just waiting for the back yard I promised her. Good tip N2Torts. I didn't think about neighbors...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm also in Florida. My RF staple food is Hibiscus. Both leaves and flowers. They are free and available year round. You'll find Purslane growing in your yard and a few other plants they love like thistle, etc. But for the most part, my tortoises clear an area of plants that they like very quickly and ignore it as far as eating anything else. Did you have a Red Foot? (Mine seem to be picky grazers.) My advice is to buy a Walmart kiddie pool. Punch a bunch of holes in the bottom. Toss in some potting soil and sprinkle it with some Tortoise supply Testudo (spelling?) seed mix. Also, grow some lettuces and edible greens in pots. The baby plants are dirt cheap at any place with a garden shop. It's nice to not have to go to the supermarket and just carry outside some scissors and a bowl and "make" lunch for your torts. A lot of things will grow here year round that will feed your pet. I also feed Mazuri. Be careful not to feed it too often, because they LOVE it and get addicted. Some times they will stop eating anything else.

Redneck2020

75056 (TX)
Hey y'all, I know this is an old post but I hope someone can help. We have a little red foot and he is not eating the pellet food we bought whe we got him or the forest mix that has fried up worms etc in it. But he will eat greens and fruits. I have been reading a lot of forums and it sounds like he needs to be eating mazuri, how do I make that happen? And people suggest with a little guy wetting it, does it have to be soaking wet or is this just to help him eat it so moist? Any help would be appreciated, he is our first Tory and I want him to be a happy healthy lil guy!

Attachments

• 20191221_171408.jpg
    20191221_171408.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

willee638

HK
Just a reminder ….with natural grazing areas (which is very beneficial) be sure you/someone else have not sprayed any insecticides/fertilizers in or around your “grazing area”. This also goes for the neighbors on all sides and any run-off that may occur from their yards as well. :rolleyes:
“ Happy Tort~N”
JD~:)
Are large open parks to the public in cities save from pesticides & herbicides for tortoises to roam on & feed on the plant's flowers & leaves? I'm curious sometimes why there isn't a lot of insects visible in these parks, I also observed some apparent insect bites on the vegetations & wild birds around is this a good indication this is save for my tort?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Not actively knowing = not knowing. Too many anecdotes where the knowing was in the form of a dead pet.

Pretty much any tub of dirt will eventually get weeds that you can feed your tortoise, so be pro-active and make it happen. If your tortoise eats more than you can produce, a grocery store with abundant organic greens is a good choice too.

BTW, Jeff aka @N2TORTS has been out of it for awhile. So I hope he would not mind my answering from your citing him.

FWIW, I offer huge selection of organic sourced dry greens, herbs, and flowers that can boost the nutrient density and fiber of grocery store greens --> www.KapidoloFrams.com. The Variety Pre-Packs are on sale for the month of March 2020.

Are large open parks to the public in cities save from pesticides & herbicides for tortoises to roam on & feed on the plant's flowers & leaves? I'm curious sometimes why there isn't a lot of insects visible in these parks, I also observed some apparent insect bites on the vegetations & wild birds around is this a good indication this is save for my tort?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hey y'all, I know this is an old post but I hope someone can help. We have a little red foot and he is not eating the pellet food we bought whe we got him or the forest mix that has fried up worms etc in it. But he will eat greens and fruits. I have been reading a lot of forums and it sounds like he needs to be eating mazuri, how do I make that happen? And people suggest with a little guy wetting it, does it have to be soaking wet or is this just to help him eat it so moist? Any help would be appreciated, he is our first Tory and I want him to be a happy healthy lil guy!
He doesn't NEED to eat Mazuri or any other pellet food. It's a convenient food. But it's not required.
Redfoot can eat a diet of over 50% fruit and flowers. Don't stress about what he won't eat.
You have the one species that can eat most anything. Just mix it up. Don't feed too much of any one thing.
There are hundreds of items that they will happily and safely consume.
Pellets are not required. But the Mazuri 5M21 is what the majority of Redfoot do like, if you still choose to use some in the food rotation. Do not be upset that your tortoise doesn't like pellets