Red Foot Feeding Frequency/Fasting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexixelx

5 Year Member
Hello, I recently adopted a Red Foot Tortoise who is at least 8 years old, exact age unknown... I have read contradicting information as far as feeding frequency and fasting, and was wondering if anyone has personal experience to share. Some sources suggest daily feedings, others every other day, some suggest that at his age, he should only be fed twice a week... I am so confused! The first week I had him, I fed him daily, and he was active and happy. After coming across seemingly reliable sources suggesting he should be fed less frequently, I tried that and found him to be less active and am concerned. It seems to me that in the wild these creatures would be constantly foraging for food, so going without for days seems unnatural, although I know other reptiles follow this eating pattern...
Any reliable reccomendations would be appreciated! Thanks! :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi lexixelx:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you? and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

There's some real good reading in the link pdrobber gave you. It should answer most of your questions.

(I feed my tortoises every day)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Tortoises are programmed with two main feeding programs- the wander and nibble, and the gorge and nap. The wander and nibble has them wandering through their territory taking a bite of whatever looks good- a flower here, a low-laying leaf here, a patch of good grass... The gorge and nap has them finding a heap of food- fruit falls, carrion, a blooming field, etc. They eat till full, then sleep it off.

In captivity, we tend to feed them as if it was always gorge and nap. This may well be a real contribution to things like pyramiding or other problems as they grow quickly on the rich food. To combat this, many plans offer either very small meals, or fasting days, or remove food after a while.

Personally, I think it makes more sense to divide the diet into two parts-
- the 'low energy' part with low carbs and so-so nutrients but also high in fiber and calcium (even if added as a supplement). These would be most greens, lettuces, leaves, flowers, mushrooms, some veggies, etc.,
- and the 'high energy part' with most of the carbs- fruits, vegetables, 'bugs', and meats.

Limit the 'high energy' part- either make it a very small part of the daily diet, or only offer it a couple times a week, etc. Offer the 'low energy' part freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.