Red foot enclosure ideas please!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, ON
Hi everyone!

I have posted this question under the red foot section but think i will get a better reply here.

I just bought about 2 weeks ago a red foot tortoise. The tortoise is about 5 1/2".

My husband is going to start to build me an enclosure for it tomorrow.
I would like measurements roughly 8 ft x 3 feet x 24" tall.
I am hoping that teh height will be enough as the tortoise grows and will be okay with the distance from the lights to the tortoise.

I am going to be closing in the top of the enclosure, because my apartment is not very humid.

I have read that placing mulitple air vents towards the bottom of the enclosure is ideal? I have also been told that I can use tarp to go around the entire inside of the enclosure so the moisture does not rot the wood.

I have seen someone on this forum with a red foot and I believe a cherry one that has a setup I'd like to mimic but they had theirs in an aquarium. Just wondering how making it out of wood would be different.

Am I not thinking of everything... I do need some advise from experienced members.

** I do like to make note that the tortoise DOES go outside right now, as it has been very warm and humid here in Ontario, Canada. However, our winters can be brutal and I want this guy to have as much room to roam and be comfortable when inside. I am planning on having this enclosure last me a while until my husband and I buy a house.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are a million 'right' ways to do this and it sounds like you have a good plan. I might make a few suggestions, but they are just ideas and not automatically better than your plans.

Making a box that big will be heavy, and if the top is only 24" above the bottom, it may look pretty clausterphobic in there, as well as being hard to clean well. You may want to think about leaving the top open, then making a simple frame overhead to hang clear vinyl (material or shower curtains, etc.) to help hold in the heat and humidity. In a 8x3 base, I would actually make the frame about 4-5' high for better proportions. Besides- all the air it traps reduces the need for vents- as do the slight gaps every here and there. The lighting, etc. can hang from the frame INSIDE the tent.

You may want to also consider making the front wall shorter, maybe using plexi in it to make it easier to see the tortoises. Personally, I find it easier to be motivated when my guys look gorgeous in a great-looking habitat.

I'm just starting my new indoor habitat with some of these ideas. I also plan to set a BUNCH of potted plants in it, as well as making a hide across one end that I can sit a space heater and humidifier on top of.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
heres an enclosure i plan on building, maybe this will give you an idea.

Attachments

• 304675_10151093022599742_1786692921_n.jpg
    304675_10151093022599742_1786692921_n.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 67

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Hamilton, ON
In the enclosure in the front i was going to use plexiglass so i can see in. Having the top open will give me a chance for better cleaning, i was doing that in my plans. I do like the suggestion of using something as the top that is clear. I think i shall use vapour barrier for the top of the enclosure, that will help keep humidity in and if i built a frame around it, it would be nice and light to open lol.
So, you don't think i will need any sorts of vents?

I have not seen many "closed in" tortoise enclosures here to get a good enough idea if i should use vents or not. I wouldn't want him having stale air or anything.

Thanks for your suggestions.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I'd use vents one on each side, i was even thinking about during summer months on installing a small computer fan to have a little bit of air moving but not too much to where it'll cause an RI. yeah that was my idea with the plexi glass on top to capture the moisture.

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Hamilton, ON
Whats RI?

I think I am going to put plexiglass in the front, where i can see him. I want to put the vapour barrier on the top of the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.