red foot breeding and enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclyn87

5 Year Member
hi i was wondering what type of substrate to use for my 2 rf's and what to use for their nesting box. one tortoise is like the size of a softball and one a baseball. oh also at what age and/or size are they when they can start mating? does the female only lay eggs when they are fertile? um how does that work? i have them in a 40g breeder tank and i want to decorate it to look pretty and to make it more like there natural habitat. any ideas? thanks and sorry for all the questions!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
It's going to be a while before you need a nest box. They will likely be around 10" SCL before mating and laying. Notice I said likely-there are always exceptions and differences of opinion. This is just my opinion. Females will lay infertile eggs. I use cypress mulch and am very happy with it.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You could put lots of plants, and a natural wood hide, and a nice wter dish with some moss or rocks around it so they don't get the water dirty. I keep mine in a planted vivarium. It hold in the humidity, and looks great too.

jclyn87

5 Year Member
thanks for all the help! my new one it the little one. he's not really eating and he doesnt sleep in a hideout like my other one does. should i be worried? i've only had him a few days.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A brand new tort will act oddly until it settles in- roughly a week. Leave it as alone as possible unless it really acts weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.