Red ear slider in Michigan

tortoise_man2

I live next to a large system of wetlands, and it is absolutely teaming with turtles. I have found red eared sliders there, and i am pretty sure that they are not native. Are they able to survive the temperatures up here? I really want to know if i should bring them home to prevent them harm, or if they can survive well in our Michigan temps...

David S.

tortoise_man2

Wellington, they are not native to my area of Michigan, and does that article even have anything to do with what i brought up?

David S.

tortoise_man2

Well it is a Michigan species, but i am well out of its range, as in several hundred miles out of its range.

David S.

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
They can survive, yes but if you can find new homes for them since there not supposed to be there go ahead and take them.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Red-ear sliders have been found "everywhere" that they can tolerate the temps.. which is where most humans live ---- being introduced by those that no longer want them because they get big fast, etc.,etc. They were common in N. Indiana in the late '50's

Make sense?
Wellington, they are not native to my area of Michigan, and does that article even have anything to do with what i brought up?

David S.

Yes it most definately does.. had you clicked on the "Red-eared slider" link you would have seen they describe it as native [ now ].. otherwise why would they mention it as a Michigan species?

Thanks Wellington......................... oh well.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I've found RES from the Bahamas to New York to New Mexico to California to Texas. They are everywhere! I'm sure they'll be fine in michigan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
When you actually click the res for further details. It says: Range and Status: Found in Muskegon and Lansing areas, Oakland County, and perhaps elsewhere. Possibly introduced through pet trade importation.

Which answer would clearly be yes introduced. Way outside range where res originated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, reason I posted it, it does answer your question. They should be left where they are. They can survive the winters there and although may have been introduced to Michigan, they are well adapted to living in the wild there and should be left alone.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
There's an echo in the house!!!!!

I'm sure man2 is really glad he pointed out his short-sidedness about now...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Except he took ahold of the one answer he was waiting for. To take them and rehome them. I'm thinking he has a yard full of RES by now:D

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
I think naturalized would be the correct term instead of native, although the definitions of those terms can be loose. There is definitely some different opinions on whether to leave them or not because they seem to be out competing native turtle species in Michigan-some threatened species included. Not a fun situation!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
True, very true. Although I'm not big into keeping up on them, wild turtles, has Michigan or any place else ever reported them being a problem? Just wondering if it's been noticed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't understand why they still let pet stores sell them. At least they should probably stop in the states/areas they are not native seeing they are causing problems. Everyone with a clue about turtles does also know about the sad situation of the cute little RES being dumbed at adulthood. I hate the thought of them being destroyed, I like them.
I know in Chicago you could still buy them in the Petco's and Petsmart up until a couple years ago. Haven't seen any for sale really since. Same up in the part of Michigan I'm from.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
David what part of Michigan are you from that gets so cold that a RES can't last through a winter to enjoy Mi .summer fishing :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum