red-cheek mud turtle hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
This red-cheek mud turtle, Kinosternon scorpioides cruentatum, pipped on New Year's Eve.

DSC05222.jpg

DSC05225.jpg

For a new hatchling it already has a lot of color (the plastron is actually pumpkin orange but the camera flash bleaches it to yellow) as hatchling cruentatum are often pretty blah looking until they are a couple of months old.
But I shouldn't be surprised as its mother is a real beauty herself.

Closeup.jpg

I

Italianlnm

She is gorgouse.. In the pictures, what is she in? That sponge looking stuff.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I've never seen one of those Carl do you have many of them? That is a beautiful baby and a beautiful mommy too. :D

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Candy---I used to have a nice group of these mud turtles but I gave them all to a friend this past summer who also breeds them.

DSC04335.jpg

2004hatchlingin07.jpg

This was the last egg I was incubating from my best female. I may hang onto this hatchling just for sentimental reasons.
I love all mud turtles but red cheeks can be exceptionally beautiful animals. They are very responsive too.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
It reminds this novice of a redfoot tortoise, except for those big buggy eyes (adorable on your gorgeous baby, of course)! :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I love that first picture. It looks like they're whispering "sweet nothings" to each other...it should be on a Valentine's Day card. lol
What a gorgeous baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.