Red cabbage, Keeping it (too) simple and Quality of life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Bryan, Dale is 4 or 5 years old now and 7 inches now and 4 3/4 across. So I've heard the female should be older and bigger then Dale, although I don't know if this is the truth. I would like to get one slightly bigger then him. I don't actually know the age in which they breed I was hoping it would be a few years down the road though. That's not really what I'm interested in is babies. I'm more interested in getting him a friend and I hear that the females get a long better with the males then the males do. I don't know what Cherryheads run at that size if anyone could tell me I'd like to know.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Candy said:
Bryan, Dale is 4 or 5 years old now and 7 inches now and 4 3/4 across. So I've heard the female should be older and bigger then Dale, although I don't know if this is the truth. I would like to get one slightly bigger then him. I don't actually know the age in which they breed I was hoping it would be a few years down the road though. That's not really what I'm interested in is babies. I'm more interested in getting him a friend and I hear that the females get a long better with the males then the males do. I don't know what Cherryheads run at that size if anyone could tell me I'd like to know.

I've seen them between $300 and $500 for around that size.

dmmj said:
completely agree about the over abundance of absolute statements. It's basically as if someone is saying that they are all knowing and that the world should just stop trying to learn about these animals because everything of importance has already been learned.

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but I am all knowing, I just keep a low profile. I HAVE SPOKEN

My qoute thingy did not work but my point is I am all knowing

I HAVE SPOKEN again

If you are all knowing, and someone else is all knowing what the hell happened to me? I don't know anything! :(

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Great post Carl!

I keep radiated tortoises and russian tortoises, but this is a good read for all tortoise keepers!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Candy...It IS better to get a female a little bigger than the male. The male is ready for breeding at a younger age than females. If she is smaller, he will pester her to a stress level trying to breed her.

Just make sure you can keep them separated for about 6 months. During that time take a poop sample in every couple of months for a fecal. You don't need to take her in. Just drop it off and ask them to call you with results. If you ask the vet if you need to bring her in, they will say yes...they want that office call money. If they find something wrong, then you can give them your money.
Hope Dale gets a new friend soon.
Good luck'
Patsy

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you so much Patsy. I am thinking that if I get one it's going to be smaller then Dale and I might just have to keep them separated a lot longer then I thought. If they are breed here are they less likely to have worms then if they're caught in Brazil and sent over here?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yes, you are less apt to have a heavy burden than if they are wild caught, but depending on their previous owner's husbandry, you could still have a problem. If the first 2 (at 2 & 4 months after purchase) are negative, you are probably OK. But it is best to at least do 2 tests, even if the first is negative.

Keep watching for rescues. That money won't melt if you don't get one right away!!!!!

Good luck
Patsy

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
What about the K.I.S.S method?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Carl, you are preaching to the choir and it was a great sermon!

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Carl, you get my "Man of the Year Award" of 2010 and it is only a few days in. I have not been spending much time here for a few different reasons. But this kind of stuff was part of it. Thank you so much for this post. Nice to read on a possible "Freeze Night" everyone is in nestled in their little hay beds, probably till Monday or Tuesday. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.