Red ants

Murphyslaw

I have a sulcata tortoise in a pen outside. Starting to get red ants and don't know how to kill fast without hurting turtle. Please help.

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
You need to get some diatomaceous earth , food grade only and spread it around the enclosure generously . It will run off all the bugs . Just be sure you get the "food grade" !

DE-2.5-JUG_01.jpg
comes in tubs or bags , just so its food grade !
DE-2.5-JUG_02.jpg

Here is a link that will tell you all about it ! ;) http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

Murphyslaw

If it can't get wet and morning dew stops it how can I use around tortoise pen outside

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
When I use it, it gets wet but still seems to work. Just put it down on a dry day and it will cause the ants to vacate the area. Then re-apply as needed. They bugs know to avoid it, so even once it is wet and won't necessarily damage them, they still seem to want to avoid it.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
If it can't get wet and morning dew stops it how can I use around tortoise pen outside
Put a coat on after the dew dry's , it will kill them during the day . It is cheap enough to give a daily dusting , but that is seldom necessary since it does such a thorough job . Everyone here who has used it seems to have had positive results . They seem to avoid it once it kills a bunch of them ! ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy mine at Tractor Supply

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
FOOD GRADE only. I get mine from Home depot online.
Also, I'll give you my damp climate trick: I use an old mayonaise jar or jelly jar. Poke a few holes in the lid. (Small ones.)And place ant bait/poison inside and lay the jars around the enclosure. In my case, just out of the enclosures. Ants eat. Ants die and tortoises are never in any danger. They also take the bait to their nest and it kills the mound.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Also, I'll give you my damp climate trick: I use an old mayonaise jar or jelly jar. Poke a few holes in the lid. (Small ones.)And place ant bait/poison inside and lay the jars around the enclosure. In my case, just out of the enclosures. Ants eat. Ants die and tortoises are never in any danger. They also take the bait to their nest and it kills the mound.
Great tip , Thanks for sharing ! :cool:

AnimalLady

Thats a great idea,

but this stuff, this earth stuff, I can just sprinkle it INSIDE the enclosure? Or this has to be away from the torts too? with all this rain, these ants are no joke!