Red And Yellow Footed Tortoise's

Status
Not open for further replies.

vects97

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana, Indianapolis
Hey, I'm really getting intrested in getting a Tortoise latley, and I really would like to know as like a recommendation, Would you get a Red or Yellow footed tortoise? and why.

I've seen the differents in the look, but I don't know if there's a differents in the personalitys or do they just adapt one??

I have read so far that they arn't good with little kids or animal, is that true??

If you were giving advice for a bigginer like me,would you recommend these types or do you think another type would be better??

so far I've heard that these are the best pet tortoises that still get big?? would you agree with that?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi and welcome! I don't the differences (if any) between yellow & red footed tortoises at all.
Because of their high humidity requirements, and the fact that they also need a very large outdoor enclosure as adult, I don't know if they would be considered a beginners tortoise.

Hermanns, Greeks and Russian tortoises usually fall into that particular category.

That being said, if you take the time to do your research and are committed to providing a big and wonderful enclosure, they do seem like a very nice tort to have.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

Could you tell us a little more about where you live in the world, what the climate's like, how much space you have and whether or not you have a yard or garden available? We can then offer better help.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
From what I understand, Yellowfoots are less tolerant to fluctuations in their environment than Redfoots, so they can be a bit more tough to keep. They may also be a little bigger than most redfoots, not by much but if space is a concern this is also something to consider. Amazon basin yellowfoots are a lot bigger, but I don't think those are commonly sold.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! I have both redfoots are much easier than yellowfoots. Redfoots tend to take auchincloss tolerable lower humidity. Yellowfoots have to maintain extreme high hi
Iditu lower light levels and a much different diet. Although from same regions redfoots are found in different climate conditions. They are on the outskirts of the rainforest in the savanas and yellowfoots are deep rainforest climate. Your yellowfoots naturally are going to eat more fruit like flowers from fallen trees and forage on moss and plants that are not available at grocery stores. Redfoots will eat grass and dark leafy greens which is more readily available. Also the size aspect. Yellowfoots can get 60-80 pounds when your common northern redfoot will get around 30-40 pounds max.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi vects97:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

If you're set on those particular species, then I think I'd go with a redfooted.

What would you like us to call you?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the FOrum!

If it was a cat or Dog and not a Tortoise.... would you prefer the Red one or the Yellow one?

Status
Not open for further replies.