RED ALERT! Vote "No" on FWS Python Rule Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Redstrike said:
A law regulating ownership to responsible people needs to be enacted, I don't care if it's a reptile, mammal, bird, or insect. Something needs to change.

I agree that something indeed needs to change. I'm not necessarily opposed to some regulation...if it's done properly. This Rule Change put forth by the USFWS is quite simply, NOT doing it properly. This proposed change was basically railroaded through without due process (violating several laws, if you want to get technical) and not founded on any real science. This is OUR Fish and Wildlife Service essentially trying to tack a solution that really has very little to do with the problem. Blocking interstate trade of these snakes isn't going to change anything. Burmese pythons, as unfortunate as it is, are in the Everglades to stay for years to come. Yeah, some big freezes here and there will knock the numbers back, and the python hunters eradicating them when they can will help too, but in reality, this isn't like these snake just sprung up a few years ago when that photo of a dead headless python floating in the swamp with an alligator sticking out of its busted gut surfaced on the web. They've been there for a couple decades. That photo was just the catalyst that ignited the media hype of "Giant Pythons invading the U.S."

Your assertions on cats are correct. Those allowing their cats to go outdoors have resulted in a global introduction of a formidable mesocarnivore, the result has been billions of documented migratory bird deaths each year. There is a classic study of a lighthouse keeper off the coast of England whose cat was responsible for the extinction of an endemic sparrow on the island - single-handedly! I think people letting their cats out should be held liable under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. No doubt their cats are killing more than just birds and having serious consequences on native ecosystems (paper attached that you may enjoy).

Yeah, and don't get me wrong. I have nothing really against cats or people who own them. I just wish everyone who did would get them fixed and keep them in the house! And its the hypocrisy of these lobbyists and lawmakers that also get me. If they REALLY were concerned about invasive species and whatnot, I'd like to see them look into the much larger feral cat problem before they worry about the python problem. Enact some regulation where you are required to get your cat spayed/neutered unless you are a certified breeder or something. Of course, enforcement would be the key. Get veterinarians involved; if a person brings their cat(s) in for check-ups, and they haven't gotten them fixed by a certain age, they get reported to whoever and get fined. I dunno...just a thought.

I'm not accusing snake keepers of spreading invasive snakes around the globe, most probably hitch-hiked on shipping-cargo, etc. I'd like to see a bit more caution from the pet industry (all the pet industry, not just reptiles), that's all.

Yeah, I'm well aware of the Brown Tree Snake issue, and I do believe it's placement on the Lacey Act is justified. That species was just awful; those things were eating dogfood, for crying out loud!

And yeah, I wholeheartedly agree that the pet industry as a whole needs wake up and start policing itself and enforcing its own standards, because if it doesn't, we already know who will step and do it for us. I don't think any of us really want that, which is why I oppose these bills and rule changes so avidly.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Another good example of an invasive species that few people think about- but that are directly related to the pet trade are red-ear sliders, which are now found in nearly all temperate fresh lakes near any decent sized city on Earth. In many places, they have out-competed local species and caused at least localized extinctions.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Well, its the beginning of the end, folks, especially for all of us snake-keepers out there...

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/16/2592593/us-set-to-approve-python-ban.html

------------

According to the article, Burmese pythons and African Rocks are definitely on the ban list. It doesn't mention which of the other 9 species originally listed on the proposal are to be included in this ban. I sincerely hope not.

I know a lot of you tortoise keepers probably don't care, but this really is a big deal. This isn't about the environment, because this ban will do diddley-squat about invasive pythons in the Everglades. All it will do is hurt the reptile industry; affect reptile expos, pet stores, etc. Not to mention the thousands of pet Burmese pythons that essentially become worthless (at least in a economical sense) overnight.

Example: you have a pet Burmese python, and for some reason, you have to move to another state. With this new law, you cannot transport that python over state lines. Your only options are to find someone within your current state to take it, or have it euthanised. Kinda sucks, doesn't it? Really sucks if you just spent the last several years breeding Burmese pythons as supplemental income.

These people will not stop. Now that they know they can pull this off, they will continue to target every "non-conventional" pet animal until they're all banned, and the entire reptile industry has the biggest bull's eye on it. Even if you don't keep snakes, you need to fight this stuff. I guarantee, sooner or later, it may be 10-20 years from now, but after all the iguanas and bearded dragons, and geckos, and pythons and boas and cornsnakes, etc, are illegal to sell, own, etc...these goons are going to look around and say, "Heck, baby turtles are already illegal. Might as well make them all illegal!"

If you haven't already, PLEASE click on the link on the OP of this thread, submit your e-letter via USARK and sign that petition. It can still aid in a potential appeal for this ban. Reptile Nation Unite!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I got this today.
Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about the decision by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) to classify certain large constrictor snakes as injurious. I greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue.

On January 17, 2012, the FWS finalized a rule that bans the importation and interstate transportation of four nonnative constrictor snakes. The final rule lists the Burmese python, the yellow anaconda, and the northern and southern African pythons as injurious wildlife under the Lacey Act because these snakes pose a threat to the Everglades and other sensitive ecosystems.

Under the injurious wildlife provisions of the Lacey Act, the Interior Department is authorized to regulate the importation and interstate transport of wildlife species determined to be injurious to humans, agriculture, horticulture, forestry, or wildlife in the United States.

While I understand your concerns with the final rule, I believe the scientists at the FWS have tried to make this new regulation as practical as possible. However, be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the FWS considers similar regulations in the future.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Signature

Kay R. Hagan

Please do not reply to this email. Instead, if you have further questions, please visit www.hagan.senate.gov and fill out my web form for your inquiry. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.